No glove, no love

“No glove, no love” seems to be an increasingly popular pickup line amongst teenagers.

According to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 80 percent of boys between the ages of 15 and 19 reported that they used a condom the first time they had sex—a nine point rise from 2002. Furthermore, 85 percent used some form of contraception. Only 78 percent of girls, however, reported using contraception their first time having sex.

Maralis Mercado, program coordinator for health and wellness, commented on the gender disparity in condom use.

“I think it has a lot to do with access and with stigma,” she said. “I think there’s’ still a stigma with women picking up condoms.… There’s kind of an embarrassment of ‘I don’t want to carry that kind of thing,’ where as with boys there’s a sense of pride.”

In order to reduce this stigma, Mercado said, student health is trying to make condoms as accessible as possible to ensure that all students are comfortable with getting them.

Mercado added that the rising popularity of comprehensive sex education programs is another reason for the increase in contraceptive use. She noted that according to research studies, such programs can both decrease the onset of first sexual encounter and increase the chances of an individual choosing to use a protective barrier when they first choose to have sex.

The Duke Student Wellness Center offers free safer sex supplies to students. Among supplies offered are condoms, lubricants and dental dams.

“On East Campus they go very quickly,” said physician assistant Steve Taxman. “We keep them well stocked because we obviously want them available to whoever needs them.”

In 2010, student health distributed 15,876 condoms, 2,789 packets of lubricant and 300 latex dental dams, she said.

There are several locations on campus where Student Wellness distributes free safer sex supplies: the Student Wellness Center, Student Health on East and West Campuses, The Oasis, the Women’s Center and the Center for LGBT Life. Mercado also noted that Student Wellness is working on plans to make condoms more accessible to students in dorms. Freshmen on East Campus currently have the option at the beginning of the year to vote on whether or not they would like baskets of free condoms in their bathrooms.

Share and discuss “No glove, no love” on social media.