SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke wins ACC finale

Despite freezing conditions Friday night, the Blue Devils managed to stay hot at home as they took down Virginia Tech 2-1.

For Duke (9-6-1, 4-3-1 in the ACC), the victory is the fifth straight at the friendly confines of Koskinen Stadium. The win also comes at a crucial juncture in the season, as Friday also marked the close of the ACC schedule.

“This time of year, any win’s a good win,” head coach John Kerr said. “Grinding out a win like that was good.”

In the first half, the Blue Devils managed to take an early lead off a sixth-minute goal from sophomore Jonathan Aguirre. Receiving a pass from senior Chris Tweed-Kent—who notched his seventh point in the last three games—Aguirre settled the ball inside the six-yard box and fired it into the back of the net. This would prove to be the only major action going into the locker room, though, as neither team seemed to hold significant possession or challenge their opposing goalkeepers throughout the remainder of the half.

Coming out in the second, however, both teams looked significantly more energized as the offenses finally began to click. In the 48th minute, the Hokies (4-11-2, 1-5-1 in the ACC) launched an attack that nearly resulted in an equalizing goal, only to see senior Dan Tweed-Kent safely clear the shot away at the last possible second. The Blue Devils narrowly missed a goal of their own three minutes later when freshman Nick Palodichuk snuck past the Virginia Tech defenders only to fall in the 18-yard box before getting off a shot. And twenty minutes later, Palodichuk would again find himself on the ground in the 18-yard box, this time thanks a foul by the Hokie defense. However on the ensuing penalty kick, junior Andrew Wenger sent his shot over the bar.

“That penalty would have made it 2-0… and you’re cruising to a victory then,” Kerr said. “Our heads dropped a bit, and it allowed them to keep a little life.”

While Virginia Tech responded to the missed penalty kick with a newfound energy—going on an offensive run that saw two good looks on goal—their high spirits would not last long. The Hokie defense scored an own goal in the 78th minute off a corner from Duke freshman Sean Davis. Davis’ kick ricocheted around in front of the goal, bouncing off Duke senior Jan Trnka-Amrhein and a defender on the far post before falling into the back of the net.

Despite the two-goal deficit, Virginia Tech was not ready to concede the game. Two minutes later in, Hokie midfielder Taylor Lemmon would net a goal after running through the Duke defense. Virginia Tech continued to apply pressure through the final whistle, taking control of possession and pushing the ball up field. Yet the sustained attacks came up short for Virginia Tech, as Duke was able to hold on for the one-goal victory.

Share and discuss “Duke wins ACC finale” on social media.