Bryan Center reopens after bomb threat

Updated: Saturday, 1:37 p.m.

Duke officials have reopened the Bryan Center after a search of the building was prompted by an anonymous bomb threat.

The Duke University Police Department and the Durham Police Department are investigating the anonymous threat to the building, said Kyle Cavanaugh, vice president for administration and the emergency response coordinator. The Bryan Center has been evacuated and the building has been closed until further notice, according to an email sent to students by Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek at 11:34 a.m.

At approximately 12:00 p.m., Wasiolek said there were no updates to the status of the threat, adding that the Bryan Center is still evacuated.

The threat was reported to DUPD this morning, Cavanaugh said. He said the entire building was evacuated and its perimeter secured to prevent people from re-entry.

"The building was evacuated even though police don't feel that there's much substance to this threat," Cavanaugh said.

Police are currently searching each room in the Bryan Center, Cavanaugh said. He added that officials are hoping to re-open the Bryan Center in two hours.

The DPD is working to find the identity and location of the caller, Cavanaugh said.

The Bryan Center houses the University Store, the Gothic Bookshop, five eateries, ATMs, film and performing art theaters, the University Box Office, an information desk, a post office and broadcast studio.

Duke Police Chief John Dailey could not be immediately reached for this story.

Share and discuss “Bryan Center reopens after bomb threat” on social media.