Q&A with Kyrie Irving

SHANGHAI, CHINA— Sporting a new haircut, former Duke guard and No. 1 NBA draft pick Kyrie Irving met up with the Blue Devils during the afternoon Friday for the Nike Sports Festival. After playing soccer, tennis and baseball mini games around the perimeter of the Nike facility, the Duke players and coaching staff put on a clinic for a crowd filling the bleachers before scrimmaging members of the Chinese junior national team. The Chronicle’s Taylor Doherty caught up with Irving for a few minutes after the game.

The Chronicle: What do you think of Duke this year? How good do you think they can be?

Kyrie Irving: I think they have a tremendous opportunity to do something special this year. Although they’re young, they’re still a special team. They have a chance to make a special run.

TC: Do you think they’re national championship contenders?

KI: Oh yeah, definitely. I believe that every team in the beginning of the season, or in the preseason is a national championship contender. You have Kentucky, Ohio State, there’s a lot of good teams, but I think Duke is going to separate themselves.

TC: Have done anything fun during the lockout?

KI: Oh no, all I’ve been doing is spending a lot of time with my guys down at Duke. I was taking two classes down there, so I just spent a lot of time down there.

TC: What’s the schedule for your graduating again? You promised your Dad you will finish there?

KI: I promised my father that I was going to graduate in five years.

TC: You’re still going to do it? What are you going to major in?

KI: Yeah, definitely.

TC: What are you going to major in?

KI: Probably psychology or sociology, one or the other.

TC: What do you think of Austin Rivers?

KI: He’s a great player.

TC: Do you think he’s going to be one-and-done?

KI: I don’t know. I mean, time will tell. You know, people develop differently in college.

TC: How’s your toe doing?

KI: My toe is good. I’m 100 percent. I would be out here playing if I [were] cleared by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

TC: You got a new car, didn’t you?

KI: Oh yeah, I got an Audi S5.

TC: How’d you pick it?

KI: I’ve always wanted an Audi. I was going to get the R8, but my father said it was too fast for me.

Share and discuss “Q&A with Kyrie Irving” on social media.