Kuniholm to leave post as dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy

Another major change in leadership will occur in the University’s near future.

Bruce Kuniholm, the dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy, will step down from his post at the end of this academic year, the University announced earlier today.

The University will conduct a national search to determine Kuniholm’s successor. Helen Ladd, the Edgar T. Thompson Distinguished Professor of Public Policy and professor of economics, will lead the search. Ladd also serves as president of the Association for Public Policy and Management, the top national organization for scholars and schools of public policy.

Kuniholm had served as director of the Sanford Institute of Public Policy since 2005, and then shifted to his role as dean when Sanford became a school in 2009. Kuniholm is credited with helping Sanford achieve that transition.

He was also key in putting Sanford on secure financial footing, directing fundraising efforts that approximated $40 million in endowment funds, as well as starting an annual fundraising campaign for Sanford and negotiating key fiscal restructuring.

Sanford’s global presence was also propelled under Kuniholm’s tenure, as he helped establish programs such as the Global Semester Abroad in India and China, a partnership with Ho Chi Minh University in Vietnam, among others..

“I have loved every minute of it, but I will be 70 next year and I would like to do a little more research and teaching -- which I have sorely missed -- before I retire,” Kuniholm said in a press release.

This announcement follows former Fuqua dean Blair Sheppard’s decision to step down. Sheppard was replaced by William Boulding Aug. 2.

Share and discuss “Kuniholm to leave post as dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy” on social media.