The Belmont Apartments see second string of break-ins this summer

The saying is: lightning doesn’t strike twice. Yet this summer, the Belmont Apartments experienced its second series of break-ins this year.

There have been seven confirmed cases of breaking and entering since July 13, Kammie Michael, Durham Police Department public information officer wrote in an email July 29. All of these cases have involved theft, primarily of electronic items, according to the DPD incident reports. At least three of the apartments involved belong to Duke students.

No arrests have been made yet nor have any suspects been identified, Michael said.

Ron Christie, a detective with the Durham County Sheriff’s Office who has been stationed as a courtesy officer at the apartment complex, said he suspects that more than one person or group is responsible for the break-ins. The timing and style of the incidents suggest that the perpetrators are probably not the same burglars from April, he added.

“Of the forced entry burglaries, some of the doors were crudely kicked in while others were more subtly pried open this month,” said Christie. “And last April, the series of break-ins happened late at night while this time, the trend is that they have been occurring in the middle of the day.”

Michael said three of the break-ins involved the door being pried open, two involved the door being kicked in and the remaining two cases were unforced-entries, meaning doors were left unlocked.

According to the DPD reports, at least one burglary occurred July 13, 14, 17, 20 and 21. Two burglaries occurred on July 17 and 20. Cash, television sets, laptops, and jewelry were just some of the items taken in each of these burglaries.

Christie said the break-in July 13 was most likely an isolated incident—though authorities are not sure—due to the quantity of items taken from the premises. The value of the stolen goods was approximately $7,760 and included luggage, a computer, a laptop and a printer among other items. He suspects a large vehicle or truck was involved and believes this style links this case to another similar burglary that occurred on American Drive in Durham July 19.

Christie added that no suspicious behavior has been reported in the area since, though security officials have urged residents to come forward with any information they may have.

“I do not think there is trend or general increase in crime, but rather, as I have seen while working at the sheriff’s office, is that crime occurs in cycles with up and down swings,” said Christie. “If a certain person or group has been caught, crime might subside, but if someone is let out of jail, crime may rise again.”

He noted that areas with residents of lower socioeconomic levels, such as the neighborhood surrounding the Belmont Apartments, are more susceptible to crime but said he feels that the complex’s administrators have taken many measures to provide “ample security for the well-being of their residents.”

Belmont administrators work closely with DPD and have provided security that patrol in vehicles and on foot day and night, said Tim Hanson, director for public relations for the Belmont Apartments. In response to the recent burglaries, the security company, Templr security, has increased patrolling.

Belmont administrators have also paid to install upgraded doors to the apartments, beginning with the first floor, Hanson added. Protection One Security Solutions has been hired and is currently conducting an analysis of the complex to see other improvements that can be made for added security.

“These are precautions we would have taken not only in response to these burglaries but simply to provide the most updated and secure environment we can for our residents,” he said.

The complex provides a 24-hour phone hotline and email account for residents to communicate safety questions and concerns. It also offers a text message service to alert residents of any security related activity on campus. And since the beginning of the year, the complex has been installing an improved camera system, Hanson added.

Christie noted that residents had expressed concerns about the perimeter gate, which had been broken and therefore left open for a few days while it was being repaired.

“The gate is not meant for crime prevention. It acts as a deterrent and so it cannot stop a crime, simply slow it down,” Christie said. “We cannot monitor who comes in and who goes out of the complex because there is traffic at all hours, and there is no way to know who belongs and who does not.”

Burglaries can be prevented if residents listen for odd noises or loud sounds coming from their neighbors’ apartments and report the activity immediately, he added.

The Belmont will host an event to commemorate the National Night Out Against Crime August 2, to raise awareness about safety. Hanson said that the complex will also host its annual seminar August 6, which will discuss the complex’s security services and share common sense advice on crime prevention.

“Security must be a collaborative effort,” Christie said. “I do not think these crimes were because the Belmont did anything wrong but because crime happens. But steps can be taken to prevent too much damage.

Share and discuss “The Belmont Apartments see second string of break-ins this summer” on social media.