ADF to begin 78th season, Reinhart’s last

The theaters of Durham are alive once again with the pitter-patter of dancing feet.

The American Dance Festival begins its 78th season today with an impressive performance lineup of more than a dozen acclaimed leaders in modern dance. ADF, which was founded in 1934 and moved to Duke University in 1977, also includes a robust six-week dancing school and awards for excellence in choreography and dance teaching.

This summer marks the last season for ADF Director Charles Reinhart, who will retire at the end of this season after 43 years as director.

“[Reinhart] is an extraordinary visionary in terms of identifying talented artists and sticking by the talented artists he wants to nurture and develop,” said ADF co-Director Jodee Nimerichter, who is slated to assume the role of director when Reinhart steps down. “He has helped move modern dance onto the international map.”

Since its founding, the festival has played an integral role in the development of modern dance, she said.

“I think ADF’s history is pretty synonymous with the history of modern dance,” Nimerichter said. “So much of what is created and premiered at the festival—and, for the last 34 years, in Durham, North Carolina— goes on to tour the world. Durhamites are often the first to see... works we’ve commissioned [that] go on to form part of the great repertory of the field.”

This year’s festival is home to eight world premieres and five U.S. premieres, Corin Kane, ADF marketing and communications coordinator, wrote in an email. Six of the eight world premieres were commissioned by ADF.

Performances by renowned modern groups include Paul Taylor Dance Company, Pilobolus and Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company. Kane said sponsoring these performances fulfills ADF’s duty to the art form.

“One of the ADF’s missions is to contribute to the rich history of modern dance by both commission[ing] the reconstruction of old classics, and by commission[ing] world premieres by both new and groundbreaking artists and by the masters of the art form,” Kane said.

Accompanying the festival, the intensive six-week school attracted more than 300 students this year, Nimerichter said. The students, mostly college-age dancers, come from around the world to attend three two-hour classes per day for four days a week. Duke awards college credit for the classes that offer instruction in styles from contemporary to ballet.

Jason Fowler, a recent graduate from Texas Christian University and modern dance major, is returning for his second summer at ADF. He said he was struck by the “unique spirit” among ADF dancers.

“Everyone is there to dance—everyone takes it seriously,” Fowler said. “But it isn’t competitive or cutthroat as one might expect. You find that everyone is really supportive of each other and even the most beautiful, experienced dancers you see are hard at work perfecting personal goals. Being competitive or jealous or proud is just a waste of time that could be spent on self-discovery.”

Share and discuss “ADF to begin 78th season, Reinhart’s last” on social media.