Mangum indicted on murder charge

Crystal Mangum was charged Monday with first-degree murder in the death of her boyfriend.

Mangum, who falsely accused three members of the men’s lacrosse team of rape in 2006, was indicted by a Durham County grand jury on a charge of first-degree murder and two counts of larceny, the Associated Press reported. The indictment comes 15 days after Mangum was charged with assault with a deadly weapon following the stabbing of Reginald Daye, her boyfriend.

Mangum has been held in the Durham County jail since April 3 after she allegedly stabbed the 46-year-old Daye in the torso with a kitchen knife after an argument.

Daye died 10 days after the incident in Duke Hospital after succumbing to his injuries, WRAL reported.

This is not the first time since the lacrosse scandal Mangum has been in custody. In February 2010, after an argument with a different boyfriend, Mangum was charged with attempted murder and arson, among other charges. Police said Mangum set some of his clothes on fire in a bathtub and assaulted him in front of her children, in addition to threatening to stab him, according to court documents.

In December, Mangum was convicted of misdemeanor charges of child abuse, injury to personal property and resisting an officer, according to jail documents.

Mangum first gained notoriety in March 2006 when she falsely accused members of the Duke lacrosse team of rape at a team party, where Mangum was employed as a stripper.

The players were declared innocent in April 2007 after state officials determined there was no credible evidence supporting Mangum’s claims.

Share and discuss “Mangum indicted on murder charge” on social media.