Grad student not harmed in robbery

A female graduate student was robbed at gunpoint on Ninth Street early Thursday morning.

An armed man approached and proceeded to rob the graduate student, who is pursuing degrees in the Fuqua School of Business and the Nicholas School of the Environment, around 12:25 a.m.

The 28-year-old was walking from her vehicle near the 1000 block of Ninth Street. The male took the victim’s purse before fleeing in a red, large-body pickup track that was driven by a second male, Kammie Michael, Durham Police Department public information officer, wrote in an email Thursday.

The victim’s handbag and its contents were valued at $145, according to the DPD incident report.

The victim did not suffer any injuries from the robbery, the report states. The suspects have not been discovered.

The armed man is described as a Hispanic male, age 18 to 24, with a medium build and height ranging from 5 feet 4 inches to 5 feet 6 inches. At the time of the robbery, he was wearing dark clothing and a hooded sweatshirt.

The accomplice in the truck was described as a male with medium build, 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 6 inches, in his late teens or 20s.

In response to the incident, Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek sent an email to the student body around 12:40 p.m. Thursday, asking students to take recommended safety precautions.

Michael added that Durham police officers are conducting “directed patrols in this area” in response to the robbery.

Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call investigator Jason Salmon at 919-560-4582, ext. 29238, or CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200.

Share and discuss “Grad student not harmed in robbery” on social media.