Durham Art Walk showcases thriving Bull City community

This weekend, more than 200 local artists will participate in a cultural event that is quintessentially Durham.

Now in its 12th year, the biannual Durham Art Walk signals its 2011 spring iteration with artwork ranging from photography to painting to jewelry, in addition to other local staples such as Durham-based musical groups and various food trucks.

The Art Walk, organized by the Durham Arts Council, continues to develop with each season and integrate into its route more newly created downtown businesses and community-centered cultural enterprises.

“It’s a way to fulfill an event mission that includes highlighting the work of local [artists], giving them a place to vend their works as well as highlighting the new and emerging creative businesses downtown,” said Barclay McConnell, artist services manager for the Durham Arts Council.

Housed in 40 sites downtown, the self-guided Art Walk is more accessible than in previous years, with free transportation provided by the Bull City Connector. The total distance between sites is also walkable—a feature that enhances the event’s self-guided tour structure.

Adding to the Art Walk’s democratic nature is the DAC’s decision not to jury the works submitted for the event, McConnell said. As such, the event retains its signature mix of widely different types of artwork from artists with all levels of technical experience. The synthesis of artistic styles and capabilities creates a mutually cooperative and collaborative environment that has come to define the event.

“We let in amateurs and they learn from the pros,” McConnell said. “We’re growing our arts scene. If [emerging artists] don’t have a place to show [their work], how are they are going to learn?”

This spring’s Art Walk will mark Durham resident Greg Pattison’s first time as one of the stationed artists. Pattison’s work in photography reflects his experience in the mountains of North Carolina in addition to his day-to-day life in Durham.

“My work includes landmarks and subjects from around town, but I try to present them in a different light and in a way that I find interesting and beautiful,” Pattison wrote in an email.

Marjorie Pierson, another featured artist, will participate in the Durham Art Walk for the eighth time. Pierson wrote in an email that her artwork focuses on documenting disappearing wetlands landscapes in southern Louisiana and coastal Carolina.”

Pierson’s fine art photography has been exhibited throughout the South, but Pierson, who uses studio space in Golden Belt, stressed the importance of participating in and giving back to local arts events such as this one.

“The Art Walks are critical to communities like Durham. Local artists contribute to Durham’s reputation as a cultural center,” she said. “It is incredibly important for our community to support arts in Durham by buying from local artists.”

Pattison expressed a similar sentiment, and he added that these types of community-based events play a large part in solidifying Durham’s emerging identity as a well-known cultural center.

“Through the power of visual media, artists are an invaluable part of creating a regional identity,” he said. “Having seen the work of the artists at the Durham Art Walk both this year and in the past, this identity is something to be quite proud of.”

In tough economic times, with arts funding seemingly cut left and right, the DAC believes it is crucial for programs like the Durham Art Walk to continue.

“[Currently] the arts are considered superfluous,” McConnell said. “At a time when people are so destitute, people most need cultural outlets. [This type of event] is important, it’s soulful and it raises funds that are really needed.”

The Art Walk will take place in Durham April 9 and 10, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., respectively.

Share and discuss “Durham Art Walk showcases thriving Bull City community” on social media.