Duke sweeps weekend

After taking care of Boston College Saturday, Duke had just enough left in the tank to hold off Brown in a double-overtime thriller on Sunday.

In the weekend’s first game, Amanda Jones scored a career-high five goals to lead the Blue Devils 14-11 over the No. 14 Eagles (8-5, 1-4 in the ACC). The next day, despite tired legs, Kat Thomas scored the tying goal with just over a minute remaining, and Kim Wenger’s score in sudden-death overtime lifted No. 4 Duke (11-2, 3-1) over Brown 13-12.

“We haven’t been in many close games at all,” head coach Kerstin Kimel said. “We like to be in this situation and to win is a great confidence boost.”

Saturday, Duke jumped out to an early edge and was able to withstand a late Boston College run that cut the lead to one late in the game. Christie Kaestner’s goal with two minutes remaining halted the Eagles’ momentum, and in her first game back from injury, Caroline Spearman netted her first goal of the year in the closing moments to cement a Blue Devil victory.

“Our game against Boston College was a very physical and tough game,” Kimel said. “It wasn’t pretty at times, but I thought that we remained focused and kept our heads in the game.”

Sunday’s contest provided a stiffer, and somewhat unexpected, challenge from the unranked Bears.

“Truth be told we probably weren’t expecting a close game,” Kimel said. “I told the team after the game, this is a total gift to have the opportunity to play in a game like this, especially when you’re least expecting it.”

The two teams traded goals all afternoon, with no squad ever possessing a lead greater than three. Following a goal by Virginia Crotty, the Blue Devils took a 10-7 edge early in the second half, but Brown (5-6) scored four straight to retake the lead. Yet with just over a minute left in regulation, Thomas beat the Brown goalkeeper to send the game into overtime.

Duke and Brown each scored in the first overtime, and a huge Mollie Mackler save off a Bears’ free-position shot with just 10 seconds remaining sent the game into sudden-death. Brown won the opening draw, but Sarah Bullard forced a turnover and found Wenger for the winning goal.

“It’s a great test for us to see what we’re made of,” Kimel said. “This weekend makes us better. There’s no doubt about that.”

Share and discuss “Duke sweeps weekend” on social media.