Brodhead joins leaders in China

Duke University President Richard Brodhead joined corporate CEOs, university leaders and presidents of some of the world’s most influential nations April 15 and 16 in China for a conference focusing on the development of Asia.

Brodhead participated in a discussion titled “Rethinking Education: University Presidents vs. Corporate CEOs”—one of the many panels held at the annual Boao Forum for Asia conference.

He was also scheduled to attend a reception with President Hu Jintao of China, according to a Duke news release. Hu was scheduled to attend the conference’s opening and deliver its keynote speech.

“The Boao Forum offers an important opportunity to be part of a global conversation,” Brodhead said in the release before the trip. “When universities have a place at the table, we can demonstrate how our interdisciplinary research and scholarship can provide new perspectives on transnational problems.”

The discussion Brodhead participated in addressed the changes needed to foster entrepreneurial and innovative-minded talents in the education system, according to the forum’s website. Although employment is not the only indicator of university success, it is a top priority for many university leaders, especially as millions of college graduates cannot find jobs each year, the site noted.

International government leaders scheduled to attend the conference included President Dmitry Medvedev of Russia, President Dilma Rousseff of Brazil and South Korean Prime Minister Kim Hwang-sik.

Henry Paulson, former U.S. secretary of the treasury, John Negroponte, former U.S. director of national intelligence and deputy secretary of state, and Carlos Gutierrez, former U.S. secretary of commerce, were also scheduled to attend, according to the Duke news release.

Share and discuss “Brodhead joins leaders in China” on social media.