Blue Devil Days Soundoff

Groups of prospective freshman toured the Gothic Wonderland this weekend as a part of Blue Devil Days, which allows admitted students considering Duke to tour the campus and meet students and faculty. The Chronicle’s Chinmayi Sharma spoke with prospective students and their hosts about visiting Duke.

“I think it is really important for pfrosh to see what freshman life on campus is like. On the tour, they see West Campus, but they never see East Campus until Blue Devil Days. This is the first experience they will have at Duke, so they should get a taste of it now.”

—freshman Victoria Li, who hosted a student.

“I have visited almost all the Ivy League schools and thought this place would feel like them. I thought it would be a tense atmosphere, suffocating and [that] the people would all be nerds. I am pleased to say I was wrong.”

—Connor Fay, prospective freshman from Los Angeles, Calif.

“I am still deciding whether or not I want to come here, so I want to check out the classes, especially the lectures. I came from a graduating class of 34 people, so the lectures are really intimidating.”

—Norah Karlovich, prospective freshman from Pittsburgh, Pa.

“They tell you everything about the school except for what the people are like because I guess that’s something that changes every year. I’m glad they have this before we commit to four years.”

—Corrine Santoro, prospective freshman from Columbia, Md.

“This has assuaged my fears of sending my daughter to a school across the ocean. Every parent fears the worst when their kids are that far away, but I see this beautiful campus and the people, and it seems like something out of a brochure. If I cannot trust her here, then I feel I cannot trust her anywhere.”

—Angie Cho, mother of an admitted student from England

“All I really wanted to do is scope out the best dorms and climb buildings. I hear that’s a thing here.”

—Caitie Cristante, prospective freshman from Charlotte, N.C.

Share and discuss “Blue Devil Days Soundoff” on social media.