“Watts Project” convenes jazz luminaries

“Watts Project,” part of Duke Performances’ “Liars, Thieves and Big Shot Ramblers” series, brings together jazz musicians Jeff “Tain” Watts, Ravi Coltrane, Nicholas Payton and Christian McBride for a performance tomorrow night in Page Auditorium.

Those familiar with jazz know the names: Jeff “Tain” Watts, Ravi Coltrane, Nicholas Payton and Christian McBride. These musical legends will perform “Watts Project” this Friday in Page Auditorium as part of Duke Performances’ “Liars, Thieves and Big Shot Ramblers” series.

Although the performance will draw on the spirit of Watts’ 2009 release WATTS, the reconfigured cast of musicians will not be playing by the books. Jazz, after all, is an improvisational form of music; changing the players gives noticeable new flavor and personality, much like introducing an unexpected new ingredient to a familiar dish. And Grammy-winning jazz drummer Watts knows how to cook up a feast of sound.

“Watts plays with particular dynamism—there are people who play their instruments well, but he is a musician in a time when there are very few excellent musicians,” said Branford Marsalis, who played saxophone on WATTS.

A piano-less jazz quartet, though unconventional, is not an especially new configuration and plays to the unique strengths of this all-star roster.

“The whole ensemble is more exposed. I think their voice is way more upfront [without a pianist]” said Director of Duke Performances Aaron Greenwald. “It reflects the composer—a sense of humor, a little anger, at times irony.”

Jazz musicians often specialize in projecting an aura of infinite coolness, and Watts is no exception. He has a mellifluous voice and a rhythmic cadence, eager but not urgent; he syncopates his statements with bits of unrestrained laughter. “Watts Project” seems to embody this personality.

Watts described the direction of the ensemble—pulled from blues, world and African music—while emphasizing the spontaneity of their expression, an approach similar to free and avant-garde jazz.

“I don’t want this talented collection [of musicians] to be locked into just trying to reproduce a certain vibe, because that’s going to limit the different flavors and colors they bring to the table,” Watts said. Jazz musicians of all instruments are now “a lot more rhythmically conscious, and at the same time... more lyrical.”

Expect the ‘Watts Project’ to play like an enthusiastic late night conversation between often estranged, yet well acquainted, talents. Although the topics might be outlined in advance—Coltrane on saxophone, McBride on bass, Payton on bass and Watts providing a drum fix—the conversation can go anywhere.

“Beyond playing the music very well, I also expect to be pleasantly surprised,” Watts said. “There’s certain things in art and music that you don’t want to know.”

Jeff “Tain” Watts, Ravi Coltrane, Nicholas Payton and Christian McBride will perform “Watts Project” this Friday in Page Auditorium at 8 p.m. Tickets are $32, $26 or $18 for the general public and $5 for Duke students and can be purchased at the Duke Box Office or tickets.duke.edu.

Share and discuss ““Watts Project” convenes jazz luminaries” on social media.