Vernerey provides spark in defeat

Senior guard Jasmine Thomas said the Blue Devils’ attitude needs to change after last night’s road defeat.

CHAPEL HILL—Too often Monday night, the efforts of Tar Heels’ center Waltiea Rolle in the post shredded the Blue Devils’ interior defense, and Rolle rolled to a 10-point, nine-rebound outing.

While her block on freshman Chelsea Gray with just seconds left sealed the game for North Carolina, Rolle’s presence in the key was a problem that Duke’s Krystal Thomas couldn’t handle.

With Allison Vernerey in the game, however, the defensive equation changed for the Blue Devils, and the frontcourt was much more of a fortress. In perhaps her best performance in a Duke uniform, Vernerey showed flashes in Chapel Hill of the force she could one day be for the Blue Devils.

The Tar Heels torched Duke for 34 points in the paint and shot 53.6 percent in the decisive second half, a marked improvement from their 37.9 percent clip in the first half. Vernerey’s size and length defensively disrupted the North Carolina attack, however, as her presence alongside Krystal Thomas forced the opposing offense to shoot over the top of the defense.

“I thought Allison was a huge inspiration to her team,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said.

Vernerey also exhibited her improved post game and was the most effective offensive option for the Blue Devils Monday night. Shooting 6-for-7 from the floor, Vernerey’s hustle to offensive rebounds and ability to rely on a jump-hook and avoid shot blockers allowed her to keep Duke in the ballgame when perimeter shots weren’t falling.

“[Vernerey] certainly wasn’t intimidated by some length that was around her and used her quickness very, very well,” McCallie said.

Relying primarily on long-range shooters for long stretches in the first half, the Blue Devils went an entire 7:16 without any points, allowing the Tar Heels to transform a nine-point deficit into a four-point lead before Vernerey scored at the 3:27 mark.

During the stretch, Vernerey didn’t attempt a single field goal. Instead, Duke opted for a flurry of jumpshots, including three from Richa Jackson, a contested attempt from Gray and a 3-pointer from Kathleen Scheer. All five went awry.

Possessions where Vernerey was a primary focus on offense, though, had a much higher point output. In addition to only missing one shot, Vernerey’s height allowed her to draw defenders into the post and kick the ball out to the Blue Devil sharpshooters.

Though her supporting cast couldn’t knock down the shots necessary to win against North Carolina last night, Vernerey’s emergence as a viable offensive option gives McCallie a blueprint for success when her perimeter players are having trouble creating.

Share and discuss “Vernerey provides spark in defeat” on social media.