Duke vs. North Carolina: The Backcourts

Generic Script

It’s no time for a post-Super Bowl sports hangover—Rivalry Week is underway. Over the next three days, the Chronicle Sports Blog will do a comprehensive, position-by-position breakdown of the crown jewel of college basketball’s regular season: North Carolina at Duke. Today we’ll take a look at the guards, and be sure to check back tomorrow and Wednesday for a closer look at each team’s frontcourt and bench.

Point Guards

Obviously, the biggest story out of Chapel Hill is the sudden departure of point guard Larry Drew II, who left the program last Thursday after being demoted to backup duty. While Drew II’s basketball future is unclear, the Tar Heels have the depth to move on without missing a step. Freshman Kendall Marshall has started the last four games at point guard—after an ill-conceived attempt to start both him and Drew II in a 20-point loss to Georgia Tech—and though he hasn’t put up eye-popping numbers, North Carolina is averaging just under 85 points per game since he took over. But, with Drew II unable to come off the bench in support, Marshall will have to step up his role in the offense.

The Blue Devils’ current point guard situation is in a similar state of flux. After an extensive experiment with Nolan Smith at the point failed, Tyler Thornton has stepped in over the last two games with impressive results. His impact is not reflected in the stat sheet, but allowing Smith to play on the wing opens up the court for the rest of the team.

Shooting Guards

The real backcourt difference between Duke and North Carolina, though, comes at the shooting guard position. The Blue Devils rely heavily on Smith to score, evidenced by his 21.0 points-per-game average. The major problem with Duke’s offense thus far has been its inability to overcome a bad shooting night from Smith. While Thornton’s move to the point has helped over the past two games, the Blue Devils have yet to consistently prove that they can consistently overcome the offensive problems that have plagued the last month.

Dexter Strickland’s role at North Carolina provides a strict contrast to Nolan Smith’s at Duke. After running the point a season ago, Strickland has struggled to become a scoring threat in his new off-ball role, averaging just 8.3 points per game on 48.8% shooting. The sophomore has only taken 16 three-pointers on the year, preferring instead to create his own shot off the dribble. Even so, North Carolina’s offense has come largely on the interior, where its major strengths lie.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. North Carolina: The Backcourts” on social media.