Drederick Irving: Kyrie Gets Cast Off On Feb. 4

From Fox Sports this afternoon comes news that may or may not be revealing: Kyrie Irving's father, Drederick, said his son will have his cast removed Feb. 4.

From Jeff Goodman:

Duke's star freshman point guard has been out since Dec. 4, when he suffered a serious toe injury late in a victory against Butler in New Jersey.

For a while, it appeared as though surgery was a realistic possibility. However, Drederick Irving said that surgery is unlikely now—and his son will have the cast on his foot removed on Feb. 4.

"Then he'll start the rehab process," the elder Irving said.

If the elder Irving is correct that the cast is coming off on Feb. 4, this could represent a major step in Irving's recovery process. It could mean that Irving's toe is healing properly. It could mean he's feeling more like himself.

Or, even if Drederick is correct, it could mean nothing. We've known for some time now that Duke is embarking on the non-surgical path in Irving's recovery. Removing the cast could just be another part of that long, arduous recovery. A recovery that could ultimately end with the freshman not seeing the court again this year.

According to associate sports information director, Matt Plizga, the official word is still that Irving is out indefinitely, and there is no timetable for his return.

As frustrating as this indecisive report is, it's also all we know for sure.

Share and discuss “Drederick Irving: Kyrie Gets Cast Off On Feb. 4” on social media.