DPS superintendent unveils strategic plan

Eric Becoats is starting off his second semester with a new plan and a lot of buzz.

The new Durham Public Schools superintendent unveiled his strategic plan Wednesday evening to invited students, teachers and members of the community. In the position since July, Becoats conducted a “listening and learning” tour, surveying students, teachers, administrators and Durham community leaders on the needs of DPS before proposing major changes.

The strategic plan was based on the tour’s findings, and Becoats presented the plan’s six areas of focus at an upscale event at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Research Triangle Park. These include improving “academic acceleration,” “communications and partnerships,” “equitable standards,” “effective operations,” “talent development” and “wellness and safety.” The concepts are to be implemented through increasing the rate at which students achieve academic benchmarks, developing systems of accountability enforcement and rethinking resource allocation with an eye toward sustainability.

Regional business leaders and DPS Board Chair Minnie Forte-Brown spoke along with Becoats and expressed their support for his agenda. City Council member Mike Woodard, Trinity ’81, said he was optimistic about the plan.

“I think that the achievement gap is the biggest problem facing DPS right now, but a very close second is the dropout rate,” he said. “Clearly the proof of the plan is going to be in its implementation, though it’s a solid blueprint to achieving some of these goals.”

Enunciating like a revivalist preacher, Becoats introduced each area of focus with an epigram. Frederick Douglas, Barack Obama and Stephen Covey were among those quoted. According to material released at the presentation, progress in these six areas will be measured by the achievement of smaller goals with concrete completion dates.

DPS students were asked to attend. Carlton Royster, a junior at Jordan High School, said he had a good overall impression of Becoats’ remarks.

“The speech was astounding—he had some good things to say,” he said. “But if there’s one thing I wanted to hear, it was about the [End of Course tests].... You’ve got some smart kids out there and it’s holding them back if they don’t pass the EOC.”

Some parents at the event expressed skepticism toward the strategic plan. Natasha Nazareth-Phelps, Trinity ’92 and the mother of an elementary student enrolled at George Watts Montessori elementary school, said she was distrustful of Becoats’ buzzwords.

“It’s difficult to know exactly what he addressed because instead of putting up specifics, he had quotes,” she said. “You can’t disagree with Stephen Covey, you can’t disagree with President Obama’s inaugural address.”

Sabrina Lamar, another Watts parent, said she was concerned about the effect budget cuts might have on the school district.

“He did not say anything about budget cuts,” she said. “To have these amazing goals and things to say about what you want for a district without addressing the fairly dismal financial situation is fairly irresponsible.”

After the speeches, formally-dressed attendees mingled with representatives from Durham businesses, who sat at tables and pitched their goods—ranging from party planning to financial services. Hors d’oeuvres like zucchini caper dip with biscotti and mouthfuls of Caesar salad in edible Parmesan spoons were served. Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps students were stationed at all exterior and interior doors and handed attendees a copy of the strategic plan—on either a glossy brochure or a USB flash drive—upon their exit.

Share and discuss “DPS superintendent unveils strategic plan” on social media.