Depression rising in college students

Generic Script

Severe mental illness is more prevalent among college students now than it was a decade ago, according to a new study by the American Psychological Association.

This conclusion is not new, as the release by APA states, "the data support what college mental health professionals have noted for some time."

The number of students on psychiatric medicines has increased by 10 percentage points over the last 10 years. In 1998, 11 percent of the clinical sample reported using these medications to treat depression, anxiety and ADHD. In 2009, 24 percent of those attending counseling reported using psychiatric medications. Reports of moderate to severe depression have increased to 41% in 2009 from 34% in 1998.

"In the last 10 years, a shift in the needs of students seeking counseling services is becoming apparent," John Guthman, author of the student and director of student counseling services at Hofstra University, said in the APA release. "University college counseling services around the country are reporting that the needs of students seeking services are escalating toward more severe psychological problems."

Guthman noted that this trend might suggest that students who suffer from emotional stress are getting help—and sooner—and as a result are more likely to attend college than in the past.

Share and discuss “Depression rising in college students” on social media.