CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Cake - Showroom of Compassion

Not every band can claim that they produced a decade-defining anthem that remains relevant 15 years later, but Cake’s 1996 hit “The Distance” seized the airwaves, inspiring spliced movie montages and giving triathlon runners the extra boost they needed before collapsing.

Still capitalizing on the alternative movement that made them famous, Cake releases their sixth studio album, Showroom of Compassion, a record that will likely please Cake fans but garner few converts. John McRea’s signature semi-spoken vocals are still layered over the ska-tinged assortment of trumpet, bass and guitar, but the question is, how does a band that is so distinctly ’90s adapt to the sound of 2011?

On first listen, Showroom is uneven, with some songs shining in typical Cake fashion while others become quickly forgettable. “Sick of You” and “Long Time” have the catchy alt-rock feel, and the band also scores with more melodic tunes like the synth-laced “Easy to Crash.” But their experimentation with piano in “Teenage Pregnancy” sounds out of place when compared with the band’s low-key, relaxed attitude.

Despite the standouts, Showroom of Compassion never surpasses mediocrity. It has the nostalgic feel of Fashion Nugget, but the tracks leave listeners uninspired. For Cake, this is another release of a few memorable songs instead of an overall achievement as a ground-breaking production.

Share and discuss “Cake - Showroom of Compassion” on social media.