LIVE BLOG: No. 1 Duke vs. No. 4 Kansas State

0:00 2nd Half- Duke 82, Kansas State 68: Fans are starting to exit the arena as Duke holds a commanding 14 point lead with just over three minutes to go. But the Wildcats on the court don't seem to be giving up, as Samuels attacks Plumlee in the post and will go to the line.

And as Duke once again slows down the ball the Duke fans give them a cheer, and Andre Dawkins responds with a three from the corner to all but ice the game. Duke's up 16 with just over two minutes to go.

Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston enter the game, and the result is now merely a formality as Duke is up 19.

And its a final: Duke is the champion of the CBE Classic. I'm going to head down for interviews: check out this blog and dukechronicle.com for more coverage of an eye-opening effort by the Blue Devils.

3:19 2nd Half- Duke 75, Kansas State 62: Irving sinks the free throw to push the lead back to 14. A very well used timeout by Krzyzewski there to completely halt any Wildcat momentum.

Don't look now, but Kyrie Irving has quickly picked up his fourth foul which also put the Wildcats into the bonus. He leaves for Andre Dawkins.  Mark this point down: with 6:25 to go Duke had a 16 point lead. Lets see how much of a difference Irving makes.

That difference won't show up much on the scoreboard if Kansas State continues to miss open shots. Star Jacob Pullen is now 1-for-12 from the field for only four points.

As Duke begins to run out the clock in earnest and Kansas State seems content so simply trade baskets, it looks as if the Blue Devils will win this contest. They're up 13 with 3:19 to go as we reach the final media timeout.

7:37 2nd Half- Duke 70, Kansas State 57: Another missed free throw by the Wildcats and Duke is off... Irving hits Miles Plumlee who is fouled on a dunk attempt. Miles makes both to stretch Duke's lead even farther.

Kansas State is not going quietly into the night, however, as back to back buckets cut the lead to 13. Mason Plumlee is then called for a charge, and if Duke isn't careful Kansas State will claim the momentum. And indeed, Martavious Irving makes his own jumper, the lead is down to 11, and Krzyzewski calls timeout.

Out of the timeout an ill-advised foul by Samuels sends Miles Plumlee to the line for one-and-one. The elder Plumlee makes both to take a bit of the air out of this reenergized stadium.

Kelly continues to be the Wildcats best player, as he puts back an errant layup for his 19th point. The Blue Devils seem to be in the slow-down offense already, as Nolan Smith milks the shot clock but fails to convert a drive to the hoop. Irving then drives to the hoop on a fast break and draws the foul, plus the basket. Duke will have a free throw after the break.

11:41 2nd Half- Duke 64, Kansas State 49: Kansas State's struggles from beyond the arc continue after anothe ropen three is clanked off the rim. A shot finally falls, though, for Kelly, who banks in a long two. Duke goes right back down to Plumlee in the post who makes his own basket despite pressure from two defenders.

Miles Plumlee just had his defining play of the season—despite being beaten for a rebound by his defender, he stuck with the ball, forced his defender to lose the ball, and saved it from going out of bounds. He promptly his Nolan Smith underneath the basket for a two and a foul (he missed the FT), and an enthusiastic Nolan immediately embraced the elder Plumlee as he unleashed a primal scream. Duke is up eleven once again.

After Duke's timeout a faint "Let's Go Duke" chant starts from behind the Blue Devil bench. After winding the shot clock down, Singler makes a contested fadeaway jumper, and then Seth Curry gets a fast break bucket of his own off the steal. Kansas State quickly calls timeout as the lead has ballooned to 15.

that was not the possession Frank Martin wanted out of the timeout, as Pullen airballs a contested three. He's now 1-for-6 from behidn the arc and has only three points. Meanwhile, Kyrie Irving makes a circus shot, but Kelly responds with a basket and foul. Lead is 15 as we (finally) reach the media timeout.

15:42 2nd Half- Duke 54, Kansas State 45: Kansas State has possession here at the beginning of the second half, and the first few possessions are uneventful beyond Kelly drawing another charge (although the basket is good) and Singler's struggles from the field persisting. Early on Duke appears to be settling for too many jump shots as opposed to attacking the basket, but Kansas State's continued turnovers are minimizing the negative effect.

Mason Plumlee's increased confidence is conspicuous after last night's performance, as he takes the ball to the hoop with a strong power dribble to draw the foul.  Once again he only sinks one free throw though, and Duke is up seven. Another Kansas State turnover gives Duke the ball on the break, but some good transition defense forces Plumlee into a travel. A late whistle on the subsequent possession sends Samuels back to the line, where he makes both to cut the lead to five.

The crowd rises to its feet as the lead is at its slimmest margin since the eleven minute mark, and they force a turnover on an out of bounds call that Mike Krzyzewski disagreed with. The arena nearly went into a frenzy as it appeared Kansas State had sunk a three, but it was negated by a moving screen. Singler's first three of the game isn't negated, though, and Duke regains a seven point lead.

After Pullen missed another three, Dawkins hits his own attempt, putting Duke up nine. Good pressure by Plumlee forces a steal, but an easy basket bounces off his hands and out of bounds as we reach the first media timeout of the half.

20:00 2nd Half- Duke 47, Kansas State 39: We appear to be having a few technical difficulties here at the blog, so I'll try to be brief here: Kansas State's poor foul shooting and three point shooting is the difference in this contest. Also, keep an eye on foul trouble for Duke in this second half, which could lead to additional playing time for Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton.

0:00 1st Half- Duke 47, Kansas State 39: A quick note: obviously I sort of lied about trying to keep this live blog shorter. I'm covering the game by myself, so this blog doubles as my game notes. Sorry.

Kansas State's free throw struggles continue, but Duke can't take advantage as a hesitant Seth Curry is called for a travel. Pullen finally hits his shot from behind the arc, which energizes the Kansas State bench and fans. Mason Plumlee can't convert on an open look from a nice pass by IRving, but after the ball goes out of bounds he responds by drawing Samuels second foul. He makes one of two. Samuels then responds by blowing by Miles Plumlee with a pump fake from beyond the arc, and he sinks the and-one but misses the free throw.

Smith responds with another one of his patented floaters and Samuels continues the Wildcats' struggles from beyond the arc with another missed open three. Miles Plumlee is called for another ill-advised foul, his third, sending Samuels back to the line and giving Josh Hairston his first playing time of this CBE. Samuels misses his second free throw, but some solid hustle from the Wildcats allows them to retain possession after calling a timeout.

The Wildcats can't take advantage as they turn the ball over on the subsequent possession. Pullen's struggles continue as he turns the ball over to Irving, who takes it coast-to-coast and draws another foul. I'd harp more on Kansas State's foul trouble—they have four players with two or more fouls—but they've played 12 players thus far in the contest, so their depth seems to counteract that. Irving makes both FT's.

Tyler Thornton enters the game in a brief defensive cameo, but leaves for Duke's final offensive possession. The possession has turned into an itneresting one, as the officials are now at the scoring desk reviewing the play. Mason Plumlee's final shot appeared to graze the rim, and Nolan Smith put it back up for two—but the officials had blown the whistle for a shot clock violation. The result is just the addition of a few milliseconds to the game clock, and Irving is called for a questionable blocking foul around half court, sending Samuels back to the free throw line. But the Wildcats continue to be unable to take advantage of the freebees, as Samuels makes only one of two.

Duke is now in some foul trouble of its own, as Irving, Dawkins, Kelly and Singler all have two fouls, while Miles Plumlee has three. The half ends uneventfully, and Duke goes into the locker room with an eight point lead.

3:54 1st Half- Duke 42, Kansas State 31: Kansas State has made a claim as the deepest team in the country, and they're certainly supporting that thus far. The Wildcats have played 10 players and only two of their points have come from the starters. Also of note: Kansas State has seven turnovers to Duke's one at this point, and also have three more personal fouls then the Blue Devils.

Right out of the break the blue Devil defense forces a steal, which Irving takes coast-to-coast for an easy two. Plumlee is called for another goal tend, though, to negate any momentum from those quick points.

The Plumlee brothers are making their presence felt once again, as Miles Plumlee gets fouled and goes to the line for one-and-one, makes the first, and then his brother Mason gets a poitn of his own aafter stealing away the offensive rebound and making one of two of his own.

The Kansas State fans are getting on the officials after a couple more 50/50 calls that went Duke's way, but a whistle finally goes their way as kyle Singler is called for a foul on the floor. That frees up a Kansas State sharpshooter for three, but Irving comes right back and attacks the defense to return to the free throw stripe. Nick Russell now has three fouls for the Wildcats, and Martavius Irving has reentered the game with two of his own. Irving makes both, and it's a 10 point game again.

The speed of the game is picking up as McGruder and Irving trade fast break buckets. As the game slows down, Kansas State is called for its second three second violation. Kansas State fans finally get a whistle their way, though, as Singler's second foul puts the Wildcats in the bonus. Two free throws are good, but Nolan Smith penetration leads to a wide open Ryan Kelly three. He's then called for a reach on the defensive end, sending Kelly to the line for one-and-one, but he misses the first.

After another foul we reach the final media timeout with Duke holding a double-digit lead.

7:55 1st Half- Duke 29, Kansas State 20: Pullen leaves the game after starting 0-for-3 from the field, including 0-for-2 from beyond the arc.  Smith makes both and Duke is up five. Could've been more, but Seth Curry was swatted from behind by Spradling on a fast break.

He responds though with a steal and hits his partner in crime, Dawkins, for a three. Duke is up eight after a 9-0 run, and Kansas State calls time.

Asprilla responds with a basket out of the timeout, but Irving splits the defense for duke to keep the lead at eight. Kansas State can't take advantage of a fantastic behind the back pass though, as Curtis hits the front rim on an open jumper. The Wildcats maintain possession on the out of bounds, though, but they turn the ball over on a three second violation to the displeasure of this crowd.

Ryan Kelly makes the Wildcats pay with a nice, strong post move off a good entry pass from Irving... but Martavious Irving answers for Kansas State making a jumpshot while he was fouled. He misses the free throw though and the lead remains eight. Kansas State is already in the bonus after Irving draws a foul thanks to some slick dribbling moves. Unlike his counterpart on Kansas State, he's able to sink his free throws to push the lead back to double digits.

After some more back and forth action we reach the third media timeout, and Duke is up nine.

11:39 1st Half- Duke 16, Kansas State 13: Kelly has scored all of Kansas State's points , but Mason Plumlee responds right back with a thunderous alley-oop. Duke is having trouble on the defensive boards, however, allowing Kansas State to score thanks to yet another goaltending violation on Mason Plumlee. Duke once again utilizes the backdoor cut to hit Nolan Smith for an easy layup, and this game is going back and forth.

Kansas State continues to struggle from beyond the arc though, as McGruder misses an oepn three... but no sooner said than done Kansas State's Irving hits a three to put the Wildcats up 2.

After an errant Wildcat pass goes out of bounds, Duke's sharpshooters enter the game in the form of Andre Dawkins and Seth Curry. Smith, however, decides to earn three points the old fashioned way with an and-one to put Duke back up one.

With Irving out of the game, Nolan Smith is running the point for the Blue Devils, and he does so beautifully, hitting Seth Curry for a three he sinks, along with an additional foul shot for the four point play.

The teams trade turnovers and a faint "Let's Go Duke" chant can be heard emanating from the building. Smith then draws another foul on the fast break as we head into the second media timeout.

15:59 1st Half- Duke 5, Kansas State 4: Kansas State wins the tip, and we're underway.

Duke comes out with some aggressive defense that yields a quick stop. But as kyrie Irving brings the ball up for the first time the crowd gets loud. And the blue Devils get two offensive rebounds but can't convert on either.

Apparently these Kansas State fans have never seen Duke play, because they were absolutely appalled when Ryan Kelly just drew a charge, like Duke big men are prone to do. Kyle Singler takes advantage with a step back two that was greeted with a surprising amount of applause, and Duke has an early lead.

Mason Plumlee gets back in the swing of things, converting a putback off of his own miss (on an alley-oop attempt from Irving), and then blocks Wally Judge on the defensive end and also draws a foul from the aforementioned Judge. After Nolan Smith misses a floater, Duke draws another charge, this one by Singler on Pullen. If Duke can get Kansas State's star in early foul trouble it would be a huge bonus.

And Kansas State scores its first bucket courtesy of Curt Kelly in the post, leading the crowd to erupt. They erupt again when Plumlee draws a blocking foul on a drive to the lane on a play that looked suspiciously like the two charges Duke drew earlier. Regardless, Plumlee converts one of two from the line, and his older brother Miles enters to replace Ryan Kelly.

But the elder Plumlee quickly picks up his patented silly reach-in foul for Duke's first eam foul of the game. Kelly then hits a jumper in Mason Plumlee's face to cut the lead to one. Kyrie Irving slips on the Reese's logo near the top of the key, is called for a travel, and we go into the first media timeout with Duke up 1.

PREGAME: The Wildcats just came onto the court for their final warmups with just about three minutes to go to halftime, and the response from the crowd was deafening. The cheerleaders, band and fans all apparently made the short trip from Manhattan to Kansas City. This will be a great test of Duke's ability to play against a hostile crowd.

As the prepare to announce the starting lineups, the lights dim and the spotlights come on. The CBE is going all out for this championship game with hype videos and music galore.

Starters for Duke: Mason Plumlee, Kyle Singler, Ryan Kelly, Kyrie Irving and Nolan Smith. All five are met with loud boos from the crowd. Ironically enough, though, Mike Krzyzewski receieves a smattering of cheers.

Starters for Kansas State: Freddie Asprilla, Wally Judge, Jacob Pullen (who receives the loudest cheer), Nick Russell and Rodney McGruder (can he defuse a bomb with a paperclip? McGruder!).

We're about to get underway.

PREGAME: Welcome back to the Sprint Center, where we're a mere 28 minutes to one of the most hyped non-conference match-ups in recent memory, as No. 1 Duke will take on No. 4 Kansas State in Kansas City.  The Wildcats have taken the court to a massive ovation from the large majority of purple-clad fans in this arena, and Duke is greeted to the customary parade of boos (with a small spattering of cheers from the Blue Devil cheering section). As I mentioned after last night's contest, don't mistake this game for a "neutral site" contest. This arena is already 80% Kansas State fans, and it's only going to get worse for Duke. This is going to be as hostile an environment as the Blue Devils will see all year.

We'll keep you updated up to tipoff and throughout the game, and maybe try to keep this edition of the live blog at a little more reasonable length (I know you're shocked and saddened by this news). Stay tuned.

Share and discuss “LIVE BLOG: No. 1 Duke vs. No. 4 Kansas State” on social media.