SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Freshman Mar takes San Diego State Classic

Junior Monica Gorny finished in third in the SDSU Fall Classic after beating Olivia Colman Sunday.

While five Blue Devils play this week in the high-profile Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, Calif., two members of the team also spent this weekend in sunny California.

One of them even scored her first-ever collegiate win.

Freshman Hanna Mar beat San Diego’s Juliette Coupez, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 to win the San Diego State Fall Classic Sunday. Mar dominated her opponents in the tournament, winning her first round match against San Diego’s Cara Brown, 6-1, 6-1 and beating San Diego State’s Julia Wais in the semifinals, 6-1, 6-1.

“We had a really good weekend but it gives us some things to work on, and there were times where they both played well and struggled,” head coach Jamie Ashworth said. “We played the tournament to get some work in and we did that. I was happy that Hanna won the championship. Hanna was down and came back to win and that shows her determination as a player.”

She and junior Monica Gorny also took third place honors in the doubles competition Sunday after taking down Cal State Northridge’s Brooke Doane and Maria Pistalu, 8-1.

Gorny participated in the singles tournament as well, and lost to San Diego’s Laura Claus 6-4, 6-4 in the semifinals before topping San Diego State’s Olivia Colman 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-0 to take third place.

Share and discuss “Freshman Mar takes San Diego State Classic” on social media.