Duke hosts Georgia Tech and Clemson

Senior Claire Smalzer and Duke currently sit in a tie for first in the ACC. The team hosts Clemson and Georgia Tech this weekend.

When Duke faced Clemson and Georgia Tech earlier in the year, the Blue Devils came away with two five-set wins on their opponents’ home floors.

This weekend the Tigers and Yellow Jackets will look to settle the score by stealing wins in Duke’s house.

“Hopefully for us, they’re thinking about the loss more than about revenge and getting another win,” senior Becci Burling said. “We beat them both in five on their home courts. They’re both going to come in here very hungry, and we know that.... It’s going to be a battle, so I think we’re all very excited for it.”

But to play effectively against Clemson (14-8, 5-6 in the ACC) and Georgia Tech (14-9, 7-4), Duke will have to overcome its own demons, stemming from a heartbreaking collapse to then-No. 24 Florida State last Sunday. After taking a two-set lead, the Blue Devils were not able to sustain their intensity and allowed the Seminoles to take the next three sets for the victory.

Head coach Jolene Nagel emphasized that Duke (17-4, 9-2) has to remain positive. She believes the team has shown the mental fortitude in bouncing back from previous losses.

“That was very crushing to all of us—our team and our staff—to be up like that and not get that one closed,” Nagel said. “[But] I think our team is pretty good about... learning from what has occurred, so I have complete confidence that we’ll be able to move on from the loss.”

The clearest lesson from that game, according to senior Claire Smalzer, is the importance of not letting up once the team attains a lead. The defensive specialist thinks playing at home will help the Blue Devils maintain momentum.

“We always play well at home,” she said. “Cameron is just a great atmosphere and we feel really comfortable [there].”

These two games are particularly important to Duke not just because the team is in a tie for first in the ACC, but because it represents an excellent chance to see if the Blue Devils can succeed against high-quality competition.

“It’s the second half of the ACC season... where we can really make a statement for how we want to finish the ACC season and continue that into postseason,” Burling said. “It starts this weekend with these matches.”

Duke opens its two-match homestand against Clemson Friday at 7 p.m. and will face Georgia Tech Saturday at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Duke hosts Georgia Tech and Clemson” on social media.