CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Of Montreal- False Priest

There are no two ways about it: You either love or hate Of Montreal. False Priest should be no exception. For those who wish the Athens, Ga. natives would someday reach musical normalcy, the band’s latest release is not for you. But if you’re looking to hear Of Montreal take a hyper, funkadelic twist on their older works, this record delivers.

In False Priest, the band draws upon their witty lyrics and unexpected tone-shifts of past compilations, this time with the new addition of ’80s-era synth intros (“Godly Intersex” and “Around the Way”) and a hint of ’70s funk (“Hydra Fancies” and “Girl Named Hello”) that would make Parliament-Funkadelic proud. The addition of producer Jon Brion (who’s worked with Kanye West, Spoon and Sean Lennon, among others) allows lead singer Kevin Barnes to take a break from the role of both musician and producer and concentrate solely on the creative aspects of the music.

This does not go unnoticed, as the album is weirder, richer and more hyper than the likes of Skeletal Lamping. False Priest features Solange Knowles and Janelle Monae, both of whose voices mix well with Barnes’ crazed vocals. The eclectic quality of this album is its only downfall. At times, False Priest feels disconnected, with Barnes switching randomly from singing to belting to talking, which makes an otherwise succinct album feel a bit over-the-top.

The band’s latest effort is satisfyingly bizarre, taking the cake and providing the sugar high that Of Montreal has tried to achieve for years.

­­

Share and discuss “Of Montreal- False Priest” on social media.