The independent news organization of Duke University

Downtown Drinks

Alivia’s

Most students never venture past microbrews and long island ice tea’s but rest assured there are other options out there. Take Alivia’s Arnold Palmer Peach. Served in a southern-style mason jar this is the “unofficial drink of the south” made up of firefly, peach vodka, simple syrup, sour mix ($7.50). If you’re looking for something different consider the Dessert Martini, a Starbucks-esque twist on the Red Bull Vodka. Van Gogh vodka, double espresso vodka, Godiva chocolate liquor and crème ($9).

Insider Tip: Ask for a “Starry Night” chilled espresso vodka shot $5

Revolution

Revolution is a perfect destination for a classy evening out on the town. Inside you feel as if you are sitting in a New York City bar. Their cocktail selection does not disappoint. The Pomegranate Lychee Martini with Vodka, Pomegranate, Molasses and Lychee Juice ($10) is our favorite. Looking for something light and refreshing? Try the New Leaf --Gin, Kaffir Wine Syrup, Lime Leaf Syrup, Lime Juice, Soda ($8). On a side note, we recommend grabbing dessert; the apple crisp is dreamy.

Marriott 2 Zero 1 Lounge

Just off Main Street and inside the Durham Marriott Hotel is a unique locale, the 2 Zero 1 Lounge. Consider trying Wayne’s Juicy Fruit, a sweet cocktail that brings back memories of your local candy shop--Midori Mellon Liquor, Smirnoff Vodka, Peach Schnapps and a hint of pineapple ($8). Or if you are looking for the local fair pick up a Bull Durham Apple Martini with Dekuyper Sour Apple ($8).

The James Joyce

Stick to the many drafts on tap at this main street bar. The Irish weren’t known for their cocktails. You can never go wrong with a pint of Guinness and an order of fish and chips.

Share and discuss “Downtown Drinks” on social media.