SPORTS  |  SOCCER

ACC season begins with Wake Forest

Freshman Laura Weinberg, who leads Duke in scoring this season, will join her teammates in facing Wake Forest tonight at Koskinen Stadium.

Duke kicks off its grueling ACC schedule tonight at 7 p.m. against Wake Forest. The No. 14 Blue Devils will be tested as they take on a potent Demon Deacon offense, one of the toughest challenges to date.

The Duke defense has its hands full against a talented Wake Forest (6-3-0) squad that has been averaging 2.22 goals per game.

“This is probably the most dangerous team offensively that we’ve played since Stanford,” head coach Robbie Church said. “Stanford had two very good forwards [similar to Wake Forest], we gave up two goals, and we lost 2-1. We can’t give up two goals.”

Freshmen forwards Katie Stengel and Rachel Nuzzolese lead Wake Forest’s attack against the Blue Devils. The explosive duo has accounted for 13 of the team’s 20 goals. Stengel leads the team with seven goals and Nuzzolese leads in assists with four.

In stopping Stengel and Nuzzolese, goalkeeper Tara Campbell and the defense will try to continue their fine play so far this season that has given Duke (6-1-2) six shutouts through its nine games. A team effort will be needed in order to contain the Demon Deacons, Church believes.

“I think the most important defenders are going to be our midfielders,” Church said. “Wake Forest is a possession-oriented team, and they like to play comfortable. We have to make their play uncomfortable. We have to get physical in the midfield.”

While the midfield will focus on disrupting the Demon Deacons’ ball control, Duke’s back four must prevent good feeds to Stengel and Nuzzolese.

On the offensive side, Duke continues to rely on its younger talent. Underclassmen have scored the team’s last five goals, and freshman Laura Weinberg leads the team with four. Freshman Mollie Pathman has netted three goals, two of which were game winners.

“I think they’ve adjusted to the college level very, very well,” Church said. “They’re both a handful. They’re both going to create opportunities, but they both have to continue to work on finishing those opportunities, and they’ve done a good job with that, too.”

However, as bodies get worn down and academics become more intensive, the ACC season becomes more demanding, especially on young players. Church is confident that senior forwards Gretchen Miller, Carey Goodman, and Rebecca Allen will be instrumental in balancing the Duke attack during the ACC stretch.

The Wake Forest game maks the end of the Blue Devils’ nonconference schedule. After Wake Forest, Duke travels to face undefeated No. 8 Maryland and the schedule doesn’t get any easier. The season culminates in a home game against rival and defending national champion, No. 1 North Carolina.

“It’s a challenge, but one of the reasons they came to Duke is to play in the ACC, to play against the best,” Church said. “And they understand that the championship teams will bring it every single day. You have to play sore. You have to play tired…. This is a group that wants to win an ACC championship, and this is the start of that tomorrow night.”

Share and discuss “ACC season begins with Wake Forest” on social media.