Groups looks to improve student dining on and off campus

DUSDAC members discuss their goals at the group’s first meeting of the academic year.

This year, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee plans to improve on-campus eateries and raise awareness about the Durham food scene.

Co-Chairs Alex Klein and Andrew Schreiber, both seniors, outlined their goals at the DUSDAC meeting Monday night.

After the resolution of policy changes in Duke Dining in March, DUSDAC will now have more time to talk about food, Schreiber said. The restructuring of Dining, which is now overseen by Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta, will also result in more discretionary funds for the group to pursue larger projects.

DUSDAC members will foster relationships with managers of on-campus eateries to gain a better understanding of food quality and service, Schreiber added. Each member will be paired with at least one eatery in the next few weeks.

On the other hand, the committee will also concentrate on making information about off-campus eateries available to students.

Though a significant number of students live off campus, DUSDAC has not catered to that sector of students in the past, said Klein, former online editor for The Chronicle.

“We haven’t done enough to evangelize the Durham food scene,” he said. “I would love to make some sort of database of knowledge. That is a huge resource we can provide.”

Healthy options will continue to be a priority as well.

“When we talk ‘healthy,’ it is not always low calorie,” said Franca Alphin, director of nutrition services at Student Health. “It’s all about the big picture.”

Changes such as the conversion of barbecue joint Tommy’s Rubs and Grubs into The Tower, a healthier grill-based restaurant, are a start, she added.

“Over the next three to five years, we are going to cut high-fructose options,” Alphin said. “Also, we have more and more students coming in with gluten sensitivities. There are already gluten-free options on the [Student Health] website, so we are just going to expand on that.”

In other business:

This past summer marked the transformation of the Faculty Commons’ former nighttime restaurant Upstairs at the Commons into Plate & Pitchfork­—complete with new management and chefs.

The full-service eatery will also focus on healthier menu items. DUSDAC’s meeting concluded with members tasting samples from Plate & Pitchfork’s soft opening menu, which debuted Monday.

“I’ve never been more excited in my four years at Duke about a new restaurant concept on campus,” Klein said. “I think they have the passion and skills to make that location not only a place for Duke students to enjoy food but for local Durham residents as well.”

Plate & Pitchfork will be open for dinner Monday through Friday.

Share and discuss “Groups looks to improve student dining on and off campus” on social media.