Giles suffers minimal damage from fire

A fire that broke out on the roof of Giles Dormitory Aug. 4 has left no interior damage, authorities say. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined and is currently under investigation.

Despite a small fire on the roof of Giles three weeks ago, freshmen moving into the dorm’s third floor should find their rooms undamaged.

Around 1:30 p.m. Aug. 4, the Duke University Police Department and the Durham Fire Department responded to a report of “visual flames” on the roof of Giles Dormitory.

The fire was put out quickly and no one was hurt, according to DUPD Sergeant Gary Smith. Fewer than a dozen employees were in the building at the time.

Officers cleared the building upon arrival and allowed employees to re-enter the building around 2 p.m., Smith said. No students were in the building at the time.

A construction crew had been working on the roof of the building throughout the summer.

Joe Gonzalez, associate dean for Residence Life and Housing Services, said workers were almost finished with the project on the day of the fire. The crew had completed the roofing and was sealing the pipes and vents to prevent leaks.

Gonzalez added that he believed the roofers were taking a lunch break when they noticed flames.

DUPD received the report at 1:32 p.m., and at least three fire trucks arrived on the scene.

Smith was unsure of the cause of the fire on the day of the incident.

The Occupational and Environmental Safety Office is looking into what sparked the fire, Gonzalez said.

On the day of the incident Smith said there was “very minimal damage” to the dorm’s roofing and wood, noting that there was no interior damage.

Gonzalez added that RLHS later conducted another inspection of the top floor and was pleased to find minimal damage.

“We were very relieved and happy when we went into Giles,” Gonzalez said. “There was no indication that anything had happened.”

Share and discuss “Giles suffers minimal damage from fire” on social media.