Duke holds last public scrimmage

Sophomore wideout Conner Vernon caught five passes for 87 yards and a touchdown to lead the first and second string over the scout team.

Even though there was no opposition on Tuesday night as the Blue Devils completed their second intrasquad scrimmage on the practice turf adjacent to Wallace Wade Stadium, there was certainly a great deal of intensity. A team consisting of mainly first and second-string players defeated reserves and redshirts 28-0 in a tune-up for the season opening tilt against Elon Sept. 4.

On the very first play from scrimmage, first-year signal caller Sean Renfree hit sophomore wideout Conner Vernon in stride over the middle, and the Miami native turned the short pass into a 33-yard touchdown, utilizing his electric playmaking ability after the catch.

But while passing fireworks may be the story of the offense during the season, Duke’s running backs showed themselves capable of handling their role. While Renfree struggled a bit to get in sync early on drives after the first series touchdown, sophomore running back Desmond Scott tallied 82 rushing yards on just four carries. From the looks of Scott’s play, Duke fans may have reason to be optimistic about the rushing attack, which could lead to a more balanced offense this year.

“We’re going to see,” Scott said. “Our passing game speaks for itself, but I can tell you we’re going to be running the ball more effectively this year.”

On one particular play, the Durham product turned a simple counter into a 51-yard scamper. He used his pulling guard’s kickout block and then made a cut outside to escape down the sideline untouched.

“Our offensive line has done an excellent job this offseason,” Scott said. “They have been doing a great job opening up creases for myself; it’s evident that we’ve been working hard in that area.”

Before it was all said and done, Renfree found his rhythm, and it was a familiar sight for Duke fans as Vernon continually got loose in the secondary, on his way to five receptions totaling 87 yards.

“The play of Sean Renfree was for the most part consistent,” head coach David Cutcliffe said. “He played the strategy of the game well, threw the ball well, and managed the offense well.”

While Donovan Varner had a quiet day with just two catches and 22 yards receiving, the coaching staff was quick to point out that several youngsters stepped up in his place. True freshman wide receiver Brandon Braxton had three receptions for 25 yards including a tough grab along the sideline. Freshman quarterback Brandon Connette also got some snaps with the first teamers, and Cutcliffe continued to say that the youngster will see time under center in certain situations.

On the defensive side of the ball, the team was successful in preventing the backups from putting any points on the board. Yet, the first team did allow the reserves to move the ball a bit, and Cutcliffe stressed that the unit needs to attack the line of scrimmage much harder.

On special teams, kicker Will Snyderwine continued to struggle with his accuracy. The preseason Groza Award finalist missed a 34-yard field goal wide right and then watched as Nick Maggio connected from the same distance.

While it is too early to speculate if Maggio will seize the starting job, it is fair to say that the scrimmage provided viewers with a look at an offense that hopes to develop a consistent ground game.

And, as Cutcliffe said, no one was injured—the goal of any intrasquad scrimmage.

Share and discuss “Duke holds last public scrimmage” on social media.