BP spill in Gulf boosts tourism for NC beaches

After this summer’s oil spill in the Gulf Coast, some environmentalists were concerned that other coastal states could see damaged beaches if the oil drifted north.

After this summer’s oil spill in the Gulf Coast, some environmentalists were concerned that other coastal states could see damaged beaches if the oil drifted north. But instead of oil, it has been tourists who have been making their way up the coast.

This July, AAA Carolinas predicted a 12 percent increase in Fourth of July tourism and more coastal tourism than in the previous two years, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Connie Nelson, communications and public relations director at the Wilmington/Cape Fear Coast Convention and Visitors Bureau, wrote in an e-mail that North Carolina beach accommodations saw an increase in business from people displaced by the spill.

“Accommodation properties have reported that they have had inquiries and/or bookings from visitors who previously vacationed in the areas affected by the Gulf oil spill,” she wrote.

Wit Tuttell, director of Tourism Marketing for North Carolina Division of Tourism, said that despite the original concern that the spill would “dampen” travel, it has had the opposite effect on coastal locations.

“The oil spill was sort of a mixed blessing,” Tuttell said. “It helped us in that some people changed their beach location and came to North Carolina instead of the Gulf Coast. Hopefully we made believers of these people and they’ll come back again and keep bringing their spending to our areas.”

Indeed, tourism on the North Carolina coast saw a major increase in room demand rates, according to the Smith Travel Research June 2010 Monthly Lodging and Year To-Date Reports, which showed that the Southeast, Northeast and Eastern regions of the state saw increases of 5.1, 7.8 and 5.6 percent, respectively, from last June.

Despite the initial fear that oil would drift to North Carolina’s shores, experts say that such a spread is unlikely. Richard Di Giulio, professor of ecological toxicology and Director of the Integrated Toxicology Program for the Nicholas School of the Environment, said he does not predict that there will be damage to the state’s beaches or wildlife.

“There has really been no effect of the Gulf oil spill on the North Carolina coast,” said DiGiulio. “When it first happened people were concerned, but from what I understand the oil is pretty well contained in the Gulf—we’re off the hook so far.”

Still, the government has taken measures to prevent any negative effects the spill could have on the tourism economy. Governor Bev Perdue signed a bill Aug. 2 intended to lift the cap on damages caused by the spill. The bill states that any businesses affected by damage due to “oil or other hazardous substances” have “cause of action” to recover the cost of clean-up, damaged goods and income losses from those responsible for the release of toxins.

Mark Johnson, communications director for the governor’s office, said the bill was issued to protect the coast as well as to prevent any future disasters.

Johnson said the bill has put North Carolina in a better position to protect its coastline.

“It [will] hopefully help prevent another such disaster.”

Share and discuss “BP spill in Gulf boosts tourism for NC beaches” on social media.