Zoubek Signed By Nets

Brian Zoubek inked a free agent deal with the New Jersey Nets today, one week after he unexpectedly went undrafted at Madison Square Garden. Nets president Rod Thorn announced the news today, but would not give any specifics of the contract.

Also on the summer league roster for the Nets: Lance Thomas! The Scotch Plains, N.J. native, who landed a workout with the team last month, will join Zoubek in Orlando, Florida July 5-9 for the AirTran Airways Pro Summer League games.

Zoubek's plans to play in New Jersey have been official for some time now, but the fact that he was signed is new. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski had this to say about Zoubek's role with the team:

I think it's a great club for him to go with and hopefully he'll do well. They have one of the great young players in the game in Lopez, but they don't have any backups. Brian, I think, will be an excellent backup in a number of situations. I think he'll be in the league, and I think the fact that he wasn't drafted is a blessing, because now he could choose a situation that best fits him.

Of course a spot on the team is not guaranteed for Zoubek, but Krzyzewski did raise an interesting point: The Nets, when you look at their roster, do have a dearth of quality big men. Zoubek could thrive in the Garden State.

Share and discuss “Zoubek Signed By Nets” on social media.