Josh Hairston Calls Greivis Vasquez "True Duke Fan"

In an interview with radio station 620 The Buzz this morning, 2010 recruit Josh Hairston began talking about another product of the D.C. basketball scene, his good friend, Greivis Vasquez. He then shared some information that Vasquez most likely would want kept quiet:

"[Vasquez] talks about Duke all the time, how much he loves Coach K, the staff and the program itself. When I first met Greivis the first thing he kept talking about was how much he loved Duke and how much he loved Coach K. I thought he was being sarcastic at first but he's very serious about it. When they [Maryland] were knocked out of the NCAA Tournament we were running a camp together at Montrose (Hairston's high school for his senior season). A kid asked him who he wanted to win the tournament and he said 'Duke all the way'. He's always been a big Duke fan and he hopes we can pull it off. He is a true Duke fan even though he plays for Maryland."

This, we should remind you, is the same Vasquez that called Cameron Indoor Stadium "My house" and then made that improbable shot to give the Blue Devils their last loss of last season. The same Vasquez that seemed to enjoy very much being rushed by the student section and being interviewed, shirtless, by Erin Andrews after the game.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Vasquez after that win, and he, in fact, told the assembled reporters that he "loved Duke." This was taken by everyone present, though, as complete sarcasm—he delivered the line with a wink and a smile and no one thought he actually meant it.

According to Hairston, he apparently did.

Share and discuss “Josh Hairston Calls Greivis Vasquez "True Duke Fan"” on social media.