Taking a walk down memory lane

The Blue Devils officially entered college basketball’s elite by winning it all in 1991 in Indianapolis.

Turn the clock back 19 years.

It’s March 30, 1991, the day Duke Basketball and the city of Indianapolis began a relationship that will be renewed Saturday night.

Duke is on the precipice of becoming a college basketball powerhouse except for one thing—it has never won a national championship. 1991 marks the Blue Devils’ fourth consecutive trip to the Final Four, but in the first three attempts they have come away empty-handed.

In the previous season, Duke reached the final game, but was destroyed by a dominant UNLV team, 103-73, in one of the most lopsided Tournament finals in college basketball history. A year later, the Rebels stood in the Blue Devils’ way again at the semifinal stage.

The rematch was tight throughout, with the lead changing hands 25 times. As the clock ticked down, the Rebels led 76-71 with 2:32 left before the Blue Devils mounted a rally. Point guard Bobby Hurley hit a 3-pointer, and Brian Davis converted an and-one to give Duke a one-point lead before UNLV forward Larry Johnson made one of two free throws to tie the game.

Duke then brought the ball down the court with a chance to erase the previous year’s embarrassment and give itself another chance to take home college basketball’s most coveted prize. Thomas Hill hoisted up a shot, but it clanged off the rim. Luckily for head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s squad, Christian Laettner grabbed the rebound and was fouled with 12.7 seconds left.

The Duke star stepped to the line with a chance to make history. Calmly, the junior sank both free throws, two of his team-high 28 points. After UNLV missed a desperation 3-pointer, the Blue Devils rushed onto the court in celebration. It was the Rebels’ first loss of the season. Duke had knocked off college basketball’s elite, but the team wasn’t satisfied.

Facing Kansas in the national championship game, Duke finally secured its first title. Laettner had a double-double, scoring 18 points and grabbing 10 rebounds, and the Blue Devils made 23 of 41 shots on their way to a 72-65 victory.

So what does this have to do with 2010 and this Blue Devil team? On the surface, nothing.

This year’s Duke team faces an entirely different situation than the 1991 version. It isn’t facing a dominant, heavily-favored opponent, but instead is the only No. 1 seed remaining in the Final Four. The 1991 team had five players average more than 10 points a game. This year’s team has the “Big Three” all averaging more than 17 points a game and no one else averaging more than six. This season, Duke starts three seniors and two juniors, a rarity in the one-and-done era. In 1991, a freshman, three sophomores and a junior started for the Blue Devils. The 1991 team was built on offense. Defense and rebounding are the trademarks of this year’s team.

Yet, while these teams have so many differences, they share one thing in common: Indianapolis.

Just like the 1991 team, Duke will head to Indy, albeit to a different stadium. Laettner and his teammates played the 1991 Final Four in the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, while Krzyzewski brings this year’s squad into Lucas Oil Stadium, his 11th trip to the national semifinals.

“Great, great memories [of Indianapolis],” Krzyzewski said Monday. “We won our first national championship there. But I’ve always felt over the years that Indianapolis is as good a Final Four setting as any.”

And while Krzyzewski may have a special place in his heart for Indianapolis and that 1991 team, he isn’t reflecting on it right now.

“I haven’t really thought about [1991],” he said, one day later. “I haven’t thought about Indianapolis—I’ve just thought about West Virginia.”

Whether the success of his 1991 team in Indianapolis has crossed his mind or not, Krzyzewski is determined to have his team ready for the Mountaineers. And when the Blue Devils walk into Lucas Oil Stadium Saturday night, they hope they can conjure up some Hoosier magic, like their teammates did 19 years ago.

Share and discuss “Taking a walk down memory lane” on social media.