Sushi Love may join MOP next Fall

At the DUSDAC meeting Monday night, members discuss adding Durham restaurant Sushi Love to the Merchants on Points program. The group said Sushi Love will not join the program until next Fall at the earliest.

Durham restaurant Sushi Love will not join the Merchants on Points program until Fall semester at the earliest, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee announced at its meeting Monday night.

DUSDAC co-Chair Jason Taylor, a senior, said there is not enough time left in the school year to accept an additional vendor.

“There isn’t any way we can get them on, and I don’t think it is practical right now,” Taylor said.

Sushi Love currently delivers in conjunction with the student-run Devil’s Delivery Service and accepts orders on credit cards. Although DUSDAC discussed adding Sushi Love to MOP because of expressed student interest, definite plans were not made.

“Sushi Love never approached us directly or submitted their documents,” Taylor said. “We never made contact.”

He noted that the process of adding a vendor to MOP typically takes two months. After the eatery presents a proposal to DUSDAC, Dining Services reviews the vendor and installs the necessary machinery to accept points.

“I am interested to see how delivery sushi works and how the quality will be,” Taylor said. “I think it would be neat, but I’m curious to see how it will go over [with students].”

In other business:

Last week, after DUSDAC dined at and reviewed Devil’s Bistro, the recently opened Central Campus eatery, the committee submitted a list of suggestions to the eatery. Recommendations included adding umbrellas to the tables on the outdoor patio, creating a separate line for grab-and-go items and making water more accessible.

“DUSDAC has been doing an extensive amount of work surrounding the campus eatery,” said co-Chair Alex Klein, a junior and The Chronicle’s Online editor. “I am very proud of that.”

Bon Appétit Management Company, which runs the Bistro, has responded well to all the suggestions, Taylor said.

Since its opening, the Devil’s Bistro has acquired its liquor license, ordered a projection screen to show movies and will likely hire additional staff.

“I think they are doing a lot behind-the-scenes to get going as fast as they can,” Taylor said. “I was really impressed with everything they did.”

Incoming co-Chair Andrew Schreiber, a junior, also said DUSDAC will hold an open town hall forum to discuss the current state of Dining Services with students April 25.

Share and discuss “Sushi Love may join MOP next Fall” on social media.