SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Blue Devils split with FSU, UM in Florida

Junior Jared Pinsky improved to 6-0 in ACC play as the Blue Devils split their weekend doubleheader.

After a lackluster performance against Miami Friday, No. 14 Duke (16-7, 9-2 in the ACC) avenged last season’s drubbing in the ACC tournament quarterfinals by convincingly defeating Florida State (13-8, 6-5) Sunday.

“We talked about how we wanted to finish the regular season strong,” head coach Ramsey Smith said. “It felt especially good being able to sneak by FSU because they’ve really dominated us the last couple years.”

After losing the doubles point, the Blue Devils won five of six singles matches, three of which went three sets, to win 5-2 against the Seminoles. Senior Dylan Arnould had an inspired performance in his final regular-season match, as he overcame a disappointing first set to win 1-6, 7-6, 6-4.

“Dylan Arnould came through huge today,” Smith said. “He’s had a tough stretch towards the end of the season, but he really stepped up and clinched it for us in the end.”

Freshman sensation Henrique Cunha finished the season undefeated in ACC play with an efficient 6-3, 6-2 victory over Jean-Yves Aubon. Cunha adds this accomplishment to a season resume which already includes five ACC Player of the Week awards and defeats of some of the nation’s top singles players.

“I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of that from a freshman,” Smith said. “He’s just been unbelievable all year. He’s consistently playing great players every match and just finding a way to win. He’s been such a great leader as a freshman.”

Despite its great play Sunday, Duke struggled to overcome the hangover from beating rival North Carolina last week in its 4-3 loss to the Hurricanes (10-10, 4-6) Friday. The Blue Devils’ second loss in ACC play came at the hands of a Miami team that was only 3-6 in the conference coming into the match.

Even with the loss to Hurricanes, Duke still secured the No. 2 seed in the ACC tournament beginning Thursday in Cary. The Blue Devils will receive a first-round bye, meaning they will begin play in the tournament quarterfinals Friday.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils split with FSU, UM in Florida” on social media.