Red Mango may offer new fro-yo option

Steve Mosh, president and CEO of Carolina Mango, pitches his idea to bring the Red Mango frozen yogurt chain to campus next Fall. If approved, the new restaurant would replace an existing campus eatery.

Frozen yogurt chain Red Mango may become the newest healthy option on campus.

Steve Mosh, president and chief executive officer of Carolina Mango Inc., presented his framework for bringing the franchise to campus as early as this Fall to the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee Monday night.

“We are all about health, taste and style,” Mosh said. “We offer a hip, warm, welcoming environment, and the product is sensational. It matches the fast-paced fit for this campus since you can get in, get out and go.”

The chain originated in California, but no shops have been opened in the Southeast. Mosh said he is in the final stages of opening the first location in Greensboro and wants the second location to be at Duke.

Red Mango frozen yogurt is all-natural and tart, which is unique to the brand, Mosh said. Red Mango would also offer parfaits, smoothies and flavored iced teas—all rich in active cultures.

Fresh fruit, nut, graham cracker and chocolate chip toppings, among others, would also be available.

Mosh and Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst have discussed the means to bring the concept to fruition, though many details are still in flux. If brought to campus, Red Mango would most likely occupy a high-traffic location on West Campus, replacing an existing eatery, Wulforst said.

The hours, format and appearance of the eatery depend on student demand and the amount of space available, Mosh said. Red Mango could function under a pre-made, made-to-order or self-serve model. Prices will largely depend on traffic, Mosh added.

Still, chances of actually bringing Red Mango to campus are slim, said DUSDAC co-Chair Jason Taylor, a senior.

“I believe there is maybe a 10 percent chance [of opening Red Mango] because of the deficit, the hurdles in upper administration and the fact that we have to get rid of an existing vendor,” Taylor said. “Within a couple of weeks, we’ll have a much better idea of its feasibility.”

Wulforst said the chances are higher because of Mosh’s ability to pay all startup costs and the low conversion costs due to the replacement—rather than the addition—of a vendor.

Despite the multiple fro-yo venues that have recently cropped up in the Triangle area, Mosh said he does not expect Red Mango to cause any major disruptions in campus markets.

In other business:

The Central Campus eatery’s opening date has been postponed due to weather. Named “The Devil’s Bistro” by Campus Council, the restaurant is now slated to open Mar. 12 with an official reception Mar. 19.

Share and discuss “Red Mango may offer new fro-yo option” on social media.