New committee would evaluate, assign residential space

Campus Council members consider the creation of the Addition and Removal Committee, which would have powers to assign living space for residential groups.

Students may soon have a say in the addition or removal of residential groups.

At its meeting Thursday night, Campus Council proposed the establishment of the Addition and Removal Committee. If instituted, ARC will have three main functions: granting residential spaces, removing those spaces and considering sanctions, as well as allowing residential groups to expand, said Vice President Alex Reese, a junior. This committee would serve as an umbrella group over Campus Council and the Residential Group Assessment Committee’s living space decisions. Under this structure, Campus Council and RGAC could present proposals and suggestions to ARC.

“This brings students into the process, so it’s students holding students accountable, which is in line with the [RGAC process] as well—students holding peers accountable,” said President Stephen Temple, a junior.

Temple added that this is not a new concept—the Annual Review Process, a previous committee serving a similar purpose, was ended around 2002.

The proposal notes that ARC will be made up of eight student members and eight administrators. Of the students, two would be affiliated and six would be independent, a proportion representative of the student body, Reese said.

One of the eight student members would be the Campus Council president, and all undergraduate students, including Campus Council members, would be eligible for the other seven positions. The executive director of Residence Life and Housing Services, the RLHS deans for West and Central Campuses and the dean of undergraduate education would number among the eight administrators on the committee, Reese added. The executive director of RLHS position, held by Eddie Hull until July 2009, is currently vacant.

When determining whether to grant space or revoke residential privileges from a group, the ARC will consider the group’s positive or negative influences on members as well as surrounding residents.

Through a group’s RGAC scores, for example, the ARC would also be able to provide rewards for residential groups who demonstrate exemplary behavior.

“Groups that rocked RGAC really saw very little [in rewards] last time. And that should not happen,” said Facilities and Services Chair John Pryor, a junior who also served as RGAC co-chair.

In other business:

The grand opening of The Devil’s Bistro on Central Campus will take place April 9, Temple said. The opening is set to have jazz performers, a DJ and a menu tasting. This opening date marks yet another delay from the previously pushed back opening of April 2.

Additionally, the Council allocated $1,960 to the Native American Student Alliance’s third annual Powwow.

Share and discuss “New committee would evaluate, assign residential space” on social media.