Four Blue Devils get ACC nods

On the heels of Duke’s first ACC title in head coach Joanne P. McCallie’s short tenure, four Blue Devils earned All-ACC honors by a vote from the Blue Ribbon Panel and the conference’s coaches.

Junior Jasmine Thomas was named first-team All-ACC, the 11th time in 12 seasons a Blue Devil has been named to the first team. Thomas was Duke’s leading scorer at 15.7 points per game, including nine games of 20 or more points, and she notched just the third triple-double in program history Nov. 27 against Marquette in the Caribbean Classic. The guard was joined by Virginia’s Monica Wright, Boston College’s Carolyn Swords, Miami’s Shenise Johnson and Florida State’s Jacinta Monroe on the first team.

Senior Joy Cheek nabbed third-team honors, marking the first time she and Thomas have earned All-ACC honors. Cheek, a tri-captain, has started every game for the Blue Devils this season and is averaging 10 points and 6.1 rebounds.

Allison Vernerey was selected to the All-ACC Freshman team, becoming the first Duke player since Abby Waner in 2006 to earn the honor. The center from France displayed flashes throughout the nonconference season, was plugged into the starting lineup for the first time Feb. 8 against North Carolina and didn’t disappoint. Vernerey scored in double figures four times during ACC play, including 17 points on 8-of-8 shooting against the Cavaliers Friday to secure the No. 1 seed in the ACC Tournament.

The coaches selected senior Keturah Jackson to the All-ACC Defensive team along with Wright, Johnson, Monroe and Clemson’s Lele Hardy. The fifth-year tri-captain anchored the Blue Devils’ perimeter defense this season, leading the team in steals with 70, a career-high.

“I’m so honored and blessed to be named to the All-ACC Defensive team,” Jackson said. “One of the key attributes that attracted me to the Duke women’s program was the defensive intensity and intimidation.  I am grateful and proud to contribute to it.”

No. 9 Duke begins ACC Tournament play Friday against the winner of Thursday’s matchup between North Carolina and Maryland.

Share and discuss “Four Blue Devils get ACC nods” on social media.