Wolfpack up next for in-form Blue Devils

Sophomore Chelsea Hopkins and the Blue Devils host another in-state rival, this time N.C. State, Thursday night in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Although the team will have a little different look as it will be playing in pink uniforms to raise awareness for breast cancer, the Blue Devils hope to continue their strong recent play.

Coming off an impressive win over its archrival North Carolina Monday night, No. 8 Duke (19-4, 7-1 in the ACC) has a chance to knock off another one of its instate rivals when N.C. State (13-10, 3-5) rolls into Cameron Indoor Stadium tonight at 7 p.m.

Even though some may look at this game as a bit of a trap game with the potential for Duke to come out flat, that shouldn’t be the case given the heated rivalry with the Wolfpack. Additionally, the Blue Devils have the chance to improve to 12-1 at home this year, with their only loss coming against top-ranked and undefeated Connecticut. The coaching staff is viewing this game as a momentum builder, and is excited to see how its team will follow up the blowout of the Tar Heels.

“Our team really needs to think about this game [the win over North Carolina] a little bit, in terms of what are the possibilities,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said after Monday’s win.

As the Blue Devils continue to look to establish consistency as the stretch run of the conference season approaches, their tilt with N.C. State will be a great opportunity to take care of a lesser opponent. Although getting widespread offensive production has been an issue for Duke at times this year, that wasn’t the case Monday night as six players scored in double figures. Yet in their two most recent losses, McCallie’s squad has had just one double-figure scorer. This explains her reasoning for imploring her team not to rely so much on the offense of star guard Jasmine Thomas and senior post performer Joy Cheek.

“That’s the power of the team,” McCallie said following the win. “That’s the power of everybody.”

It will also be interesting to see if McCallie gives freshman center Allison Vernerey the starting nod down low again. Last time out, Vernerey received her first collegiate start, becoming only the second freshman to do so during McCallie’s Duke tenure. Vernerey rewarded her coach’s confidence with a 10-point, six-rebound, two-block effort.

On defense, it will be important for the Blue Devils to focus in on a trio of N.C. State players. Guards Nikitta Gartreell and Marissa Kastanek, along with frontcourt force Bonae Holston, all average in double figures with the Wolfpack and are heavily relied upon to keep their ballclub in games.

No matter how confident Duke may feel playing against a middle-of-the-road opponent at home after demolishing the highly regarded Tar Heels, last year’s contest with a Wolfpack team, that was winless in the conference at that point, should make it wary. In that game, it took the Blue Devils overtime to fend off N.C. State.

Even though Duke will not be in its usual home whites, focusing on offensive balance and getting strong performances out of their post players should still be a recipe for success.

Share and discuss “Wolfpack up next for in-form Blue Devils” on social media.