Smith Heating Up at Right Time of Year

Generic Script

Nolan Smith struggled at the end of last season and sat out the first two games of the season with a suspension. When he finally hit the hardwood on November 17 against Charlotte, he was ready to go. Smith made nine of 15  shots and scored 24 points in an easy Duke victory. In the next game versus Radford, the junior made six of 12 shots along with four free throws for twenty points.

After that though, Duke's schedule became tougher and Smith's game took a step back. In the four games against Arizona State, Connecticut, Wisconsin and St. Johns, Smith made just 21-of-64 shots (32.8%) and had just seven assists with eight turnovers in those four contests. In the Blue Devils' lone loss this season, Smith went just 5-of-17. In the following game against Gardner Webb, Smith scored a season-low 11 points in a Duke blowout victory.

Ever since though, the six-foot-two junior has been outstanding. In the five games since the win over Gardner Webb (Gonzaga, Long Beach State, Penn, Clemson and Iowa State), he has made 39-of-64 shots (60.9%), including 15-of-21 from three point range. The only game Smith scored below twenty points was against Long Beach State when he had 19.

Smith has played particularly great in the last three games where he has made 22-of-32 shots (68.8%) and has averaged 22 points per game.

On the season, Smith is averaging 18.5 points per game, is shooting 48.2% from the field, 77.1% from the free throw line and most incredibly 53.2% from three point range.

With Duke's schedule getting tougher over the next couple weeks, there's no better time for Smith to find his game and to combine with senior Jon Scheyer to make one of the best backcourts in the country.

Share and discuss “Smith Heating Up at Right Time of Year” on social media.