Blue Devils’ defensive duo creates imposing presence

Senior Keturah Jackson showed off her toughness in a hostile arena in College Park, Md. and will be called upon to do the same tonight against the Seminoles.

Karima Christmas and Keturah Jackson can be seen in social settings staying calm, mild and perhaps even timid.

The two are what most people call shy, and both take a while to be entirely comfortable with someone they have just met.

But when they are on the court, whether at home or away in foreign territory, a new side of them is unleashed.

“We’re both pretty quiet, reserved and laid back, especially if we don’t know people, so it’s pretty ironic how we’re out there bringing energy to the court,” Jackson said. “The court is our comfort zone, and the aspects of our personality that may not come out everyday come out then.”

Jackson and Christmas provide the No. 7 Blue Devils (17-3, 5-0 in the ACC) with strength, intensity and confidence on the court, working together to play the best defense they can and bringing out the best in their teammates.

With both players defending the basket and going after rebounds, Christmas and Jackson are two imposing competitors that always pose a threat on the court.

“Our strengths are bringing the energy on defense and being able to work on defense and offense,” Christmas said. “We have this sort of intensity and a very strong defensive mindset, like being able to deny and talking to each other. We’re both always intense and looking to shut down the opponents and score points.”

“They are two very terrific and special guards for us,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. “They are both strong and tough-minded. They are an inspiration because they play so hard, they are physically strong, and they bring a lot of energy and toughness to the floor.”

In Duke’s last contest against Maryland, the pair combined for 11 points and 10 rebounds to help the Blue Devils gut out a gritty 58-57 victory, demonstrating their physicality and experience in a tough road environment.

“Karima has strength and athleticism, and when all her gears are in play, there is no one who can stop her,” junior Jasmine Thomas said. “If Karima is attacking, I am confident that I can give her the ball and she’ll know what to do with it. Keturah knows the game very well, and even when she’s not scoring, she’s defending and still poses a threat on the court.”

And despite their leadership roles, neither Christmas nor Jackson fail to acknowledge the importance of every individual player on the team, saying that Duke would not be what it is without everyone on board.

“All the players on the team give energy in different ways—some in steals, some in shots and some in rebounding,” Jackson said. “We have a close team off the court and that translates to a close team on the court. If one of us gives the other a piece of advice, we don’t take it personally because we know she just wants to help.”

This bond that exists among all the players is manifested between Christmas and Jackson through their passion and leadership, both on and off the court.

At team gatherings, the two of them are known to come out of their shells and bring a little bit of their court intensity back to the dorms.

“It’s great being able to rely on them during play, and if we didn’t have them, we would miss out on a lot of energy, especially on defense, and there would not be as many steals or as much ball pressure,” Thomas said. “And even at our team functions, they bring a sort of energy. They both have good humor, and they are always around cheering people up.”

This dynamic duo takes the court tonight when Duke plays No. 13 Florida State (18-3, 4-1) at 8:30 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils’ defensive duo creates imposing presence” on social media.