Dukies blogging from Copenhagen Climate Summit

It takes two college students to fix a Danish fuse, plus three others to help.

That was quite the problem for Courtney Shephard, a graduate student at the Nicholas School of the Environment, when a blown fuse killed power in half of her group's Danish flat.

This account is one of many by Duke's 18 students, faculty and staff attending the 15th United Nations Climate Change Conference, or the Copenhagen Climate summit. Members of Duke's COP-15 delegation have been blogging about their experiences since Dec. 6.

"Lately, I have been pleasantly surprised to see the term 'Hopenhagen' thrown around in the environmental blogs. I like it," Shephard wrote in her first blog post. "The play on words may be a little cutesy, but positivity is absolutely necessary on the eve of the COP15 UN Climate Change Conference."

She continues her post expressing hopes that President Barack Obama will expand strategies used in his presidential campaign last year to the summit in Denmark.

The blog also features updates and discussions about hot topics that arise at the conference, including reducing a carbon market and minimizing emissions as a result of deforestation.

Conference participants in Duke include Nicholas Institute Tim Profeta, Brian Murray, director for economic analysis at the Nicholas Institute and Jan Mazurek, senior policy adviser for the Washington Office of the Nicholas Institute

The conference opened Dec. 7 and will conclude Dec. 18, aiming to create a framework for a climate change mitigation plan that extends beyond 2012.

Share and discuss “Dukies blogging from Copenhagen Climate Summit” on social media.