Group debates shifts in SLG sections

President Stephen Temple, a junior, discusses the placement of the new SLG sections during Campus Council’s meeting Thursday night.

Selective living groups will soon choose new sections, following next week’s completion of a three-year SLG assessment process.

SLGs were evaluated by the Residential Group Assessment Committee—each group’s average scores on the yearly RGAC assessments in its size category will determine the order in which groups choose sections.

“RGAC is events driven,” said RGAC Co-chair John Pryor, a junior. “The plan rewards groups that have concrete events that give to both their members and their communities.”

Groups will choose sections—classified as small, medium or large—from a slate that will be decided next week by Campus Council and Residence Life and Housing Services officials.

Groups with scores in the top half of their size categories and above 70 on a 100-point scale will be allowed to remain in their sections. But some sections currently occupied by SLGs may not be included on the new list.

“What was a good section at one point in time may or may not be a section any more,” said Jen Frank, assistant director of accommodations for RLHS.

Campus Council members discussed Thursday what factors should be considered in determining which areas of residence halls will be offered to SLGs.

Members said sections should be placed on the lower floors of residence halls when possible and that SLGs should be distributed throughout West Campus.

There are no SLGs in Crowell Quadrangle because the University moved sections from Main West in 2001. In other areas of West Campus, the percentage of SLGs ranges from a low of 19.1 percent in Kilgo Quadrangle to a high of 38.6 percent in Keohane Quadrangle, Frank said.

She noted that the effect selective living groups have on quads is related to both their concentration in an area and the characteristics of the specific groups.

Campus Council members disagreed on how far apart SLGs should be placed within quadrangles.

“You don’t want to create friction between groups by having them right next to each other,” said Programming Chair Ben Goldenberg, a sophomore.

But other members said spreading SLGs throughout a quadrangle could create more isolated pockets of independent students.

President Stephen Temple, a junior, said RLHS and Campus Council leaders would take all the opinions into account when they create the slates of section offerings.

Next Thursday, Campus Council will approve a map of section offerings from several suggested, but the group will not assign SLGs to specific sections.

RGAC scores and the menu of available sections will be released the following day, at which point groups will begin to select sections.

Share and discuss “Group debates shifts in SLG sections” on social media.