Yes we can

Do you remember this? This time last year, our fists were pumping and our hearts were jumping. Granted not everyone reading this post was at that time supporting President Barack Obama, but you have to agree that there was an unreal tangible electric buzz so delectable and indelible.

That was a year ago.

This year our President was given the Nobel Peace prize for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." And it was met with unquieting dissonance and grumbling.

"Why?"

"What did he do to deserve this?"

Is this the same man who called all of us to unite for CHANGE just a year ago?

Weren't we all moved to EMOTION by his eloquence and fervor?

Trust me, I was among the first to ask whether President Obama was the most deserving person for this prestigious award, but then I remembered.

When I was in Uganda this summer, everyone was ecstatic about President Obama. Instead of wearing Tupac tshirts or some other pseduo-inspirational "role model", the youth were wearing President Obama tshirts.  All over the world, starting in our own country, children will grow up believing that they can do anything they put their minds to.  Grandparents who lived through the turbulent '60s with the Civil Rights Movement have grandchildren who will grow up with the President Obama being the President they live under .

Obama made history. Not just because he was the first African American voted (by you and me) to the President of the United States. Not just because he is leading our country in one of most hardpressed and difficult times we have ever faced as a human race. Not just because he wants to replace the White House bowling alley with a basketball court.  He made history by energizing millions, billions to believe in our potential - to believe that the value of a country, of our world is the sum of the worth of each and every one of us.

Remember, he inspired us, moved us with poignant words to truly believe that we can be enactors of change. That change isn't just a noun or by chance. It is a very possible verb.

As we fall back into the humdrum rhythm and beat of mundane school life, I hope that we will keep some kind of radiant fire burning inside of our passions and drives.  I hope that a paper degree isn't the pinnacle of our Duke career - or scratch that a high paying job the all-in end-goal.  I hope that we (that includes me) will stop telling ourselves - if only we had x, y, z, we will be happy. If I can just make it through this semester. If I can just get into ________ law school/medical school/bank/consulting firm/etc, my life will be complete. I hope that our insight outweighs the magnitude of our hindsight.

President Obama's promises of change don't come in 10 months. Even though we don't see the tangibles and results, I can attest that I am convinced wholeheartedly that President Obama truly does believe that "yes, we can."

Don't forget what you promised yourself. Don't forget your purpose. Don't forget why you came to this campus - what you came to see, learn, and do.

Don't let there be an inkling of doubt when you do receive your degree.

Let there not be a "why"  or "how" in sight.

Congratulations, President Obama for inspiring us.

You deserve it.

Share and discuss “Yes we can” on social media.