Seniors set to pass giving record

Although the job market is grim, members of the Class of 2009 seem to have no problem sparing $20.09 to give back to Duke.

With a 41 percent participation rate so far, this year's graduating seniors are on pace to shatter the Class of 2005's record level. Sixty-nine percent of students who graduated in 2005 contributed to the senior class gift, but just 26 percent of students had donated at this point in the year.

Private donations to the University have dropped 23 percent so far in the recession, but the Class of 2009 seems to be bucking the downward trend. After the Senior Gift Committee sent a concerned e-mail April 18 to members of the class calling for more contributions, donations jumped 19 percent over four days, Committee Co-Chair Kendall Dabaghi said.

"At the end of last week, we thought we were in trouble. Right now, it looks like we're doing better than anyone ever has," said Dabaghi, a senior. "We were expecting that the gift would be a bit smaller, given the economy.... Our class is doing a fantastic job despite the recession. I'm really proud of all of us."

Prior to the economic downturn, the Senior Gift Committee set out to top the Class of 2005's participation level, Dabaghi said. Participation in the campaign typically hovers between 50 and 60 percent.

At the Senior Barbecue attended by more than 1,000 students, Brodhead made an honorary gift of $20.09 and vowed to shift the decimal point one place to the right if 60 percent of seniors contribute and two places if the class meets its target of 70 percent participation.

Perhaps Brodhead should prepare to open his wallet. Dabaghi said the senior class is well on pace to achieve its goal.

Dabaghi added that this year's campaign mantra "You can give whatever you like!"-themed after the popular single by rapper T.I.-has encouraged seniors to contribute whatever they can in the volatile financial climate, even if that is less than the suggested $20.09 donation.

"If someone donates $1, it still counts toward our participation level," he said, noting that alumni donations are taken into account in U.S. News and World Report's college rankings system.

Still, most seniors have donated the suggested amount, Director of Development Communications William Conescu wrote in an e-mail.

Kelly Suber, assistant director of the Annual Fund and Young Alumni Program, wrote in an e-mail that she is not surprised by the Class of 2009's record-breaking donation pace, noting that the graduating seniors have demonstrated great enthusiasm for Duke throughout their college careers.

"Duke seniors are encouraged to give back to Duke to show their class pride and gratitude for all Duke has given to them," Suber said. "The Class of 2009 has an extremely positive outlook and loves Duke, so they are motivated to express themselves by way of their senior gift."

Share and discuss “Seniors set to pass giving record” on social media.