i love you, man

Peter Klaven never learned the art of "bro-ing out."

Peter (Paul Rudd) is the kind of guy who drives a Volkswagen and makes up phrases like "Totes McGotes." It's no surprise when Peter realizes he has no guy friends to be his best man after he proposes to his girlfriend Zooey (The Office's Rashida Jones).

The solution, Peter's hip and gay younger brother Robbie (Andy Samberg) tells him, is to find a suitable best bud via "man-dates." This leads to a string of unsuccessful attempts to court a BFFL.

Peter's outlook is bleak. But while holding an open house for The Incredible Hulk star Lou Ferringo, Peter meets Sydney (Jason Segel), who is there to inhale free paninis and scout out recently divorced cougars. Sydney is the type of guy who wears Uggs on the Venice Beach pier and throws his own feces into the ocean to connect with his inner animal side. Despite-or perhaps because of-their vastly different personalities, the two hit it off and begin to spend every waking moment together. This "bromance" soon encroaches on Peter and Zooey's relationship.

Writer-director John Hamburg successfully combines Michael Scott's awkwardness with Knocked Up-style lewdness, creating two scenes in particular that will stick in your mind. Rudd and Segel hysterically and awkwardly bounce off each other throughout the film, each harmoniously balancing out the other's humor.

I Love You, Man's premise is an extreme, but it provides hilarious and truthful insight into the state of male friendship.

Share and discuss “i love you, man” on social media.