One broken guitar, too many generalizations

On behalf of the Panhellenic Association and the Interfraternity Council, we feel that Eliza French's Feb. 23 column, "The show is now over," mischaracterizes the Greek system-the piece's conspicuous target. French states, "collectively, we don't understand what is appropriate and which boundaries are the ones that shouldn't be crossed," but she fails to recognize that the Greek community is disappointed in the behavior on Thursday evening. Such conduct is unacceptable, and those involved will be disciplined. French explains that we should expect this type of behavior, because members of the Duke social scene are socially uneducated, and know only the "rotating succession of. Shooters, George's [and] Devine's." We hope that anyone who read French's column took note of this inflammatory generalization and its implications toward the Greek community, as well as the greater student body.

Although we are disappointed to hear French's low expectations of fellow Greeks, we are more alarmed by her brisk condemnation of the entire community because of the misdeeds of select individuals. We disagree with French's suggestion that "a skinny blonde kid smashing a guitar on stage" is metonymic for "the inherent failure of the Duke social system." French neglects the hundreds of Greeks who are diligent and honorable contributors to the Duke community. Look at the prominent leadership roles on campus: Duke Student Government, Duke University Union, Campus Council and The Chronicle. All of these organizations are led by members of fraternities and sororities. French's remarks indicate her disconnect with the general Greek community, further exacerbating unfounded negative stereotypes.

Erika Manderscheid

President, Panhel

Trinity '10

Eric Kaufman,

President, IFC

Trinity '10

Becki Feinglos

Director of Public Relations, Panhel

Trinity '11

Teddy Jones

Director of Public Relations, IFC

Trinity '10

Share and discuss “One broken guitar, too many generalizations” on social media.