i've loved you so long

Put simply, I've Loved You So Long is a flawless film,

After a 15-year sentence, Juliette Fontaine (Kristen Scott Thomas) is released from prison. To help Juliette readjust to society, Juliette's sister Lea (Elsa Zylberstein) lets her live at her home in northeastern France. Lea's family, which she claims is a "real Benetton" one, consists of her husband Luc, Luc's ill-stricken, silent father and two adopted Vietnamese children.

Juliette's last name, French for fountain, is an apt metaphor for the character. Like a fountain frozen in the winter, Juliette is distant and cold, especially to her family at first, but slowly lets others into her struggle and her time in prison. And the film begins to flow accordingly. Juliette strikes up emotional relationships with her parole officer Captain Fauré (Frédéric Pierrot) and Lea's teacher colleague Michel (Laurent Grévill), both of whom are immediately captivated by Juliette.

And you cannot blame them for their infatuation. Juliette is devastatingly spellbinding, intelligent and mysterious. She pensively smokes in local cafés and absorbs herself in novels and in the artwork of local galleries. She could pass for the cinematic version of an Edward Hopper subject.

Scott Thomas shows incredible emotional restraint and release, and gives a perfect, nuanced performance. She deftly expresses the torment that Juliette's grim past brings to her and to those around her. Zylberstein, though clearly taking the passenger seat, gives an affecting performance as the supportive sister, and Pierrot stands out as the heartbreaking parole officer.

Writer-director Phillippe Claudel keeps his script and direction taut and meaningful-never is there a moment overly dramatic or unrealistic. Claudel comfortably releases the truth of his narrative like a ball of string. And, despite its heavy subject matter, the film remains emotionally enthralling throughout, not leaving you depressed, but rather enlightened.

Share and discuss “i've loved you so long” on social media.