Dashboard to play March 31 Page show

Dashboard Confessional will perform in Page Auditorium March 31, Duke University Union announced Tuesday.

The rock band from Boca Raton, Fl. will bring the largest concert in Page financially and logistically, DUU officials said. Chicago-based rock band Cobalt and the Hired Guns will open the show.

"[Dashboard is] the biggest artist we've brought to Duke-we've had Augustana, Regina [Spektor], all of them have been fairly small-scale," said DUU President Chamindra Goonewardene, a senior. "Dashboard is a mainstream act, and we're really excited to bring them because they're a high-energy performer."

The search for a band for a Spring performance started when plans for a concert in Cameron Indoor Stadium fell through in the Fall, said DUU Major Attractions Director Vincent Ling, a senior.

Dashboard Confessional surfaced as an option when DUU officials were struggling to find bands willing to tour in the current economic climate, Ling said, adding that negotiations with Dashboard began in December.

The band's appeal comes from its large following, name recognition and pool of hit songs, Ling said, adding that it is a "great fit" for Page.

"They bring an amazing live performance where the whole crowd is swaying and singing with the band-we wanted to bring a show that was also fun for the audience," he said. "We were looking for that kind of marquee concert of the semester, and this one hit the spot."

DUU officials declined to comment on the actual cost of bringing Dashboard Confessional to Duke, citing contractual obligations. Ling noted, however, that the concert will be the most expensive Page performance in recent history and cost a "significant" portion of the Major Attractions budget. Major Attractions had a budget of $102,250 for this year, which was the same amount granted for the previous year.

"It's not like we're spending 90 percent of our budget on this one show," Ling said. "We're spending a significant amount, but it's not significant to the extent that you'd be surprised by what we're spending."

The performance will be the seventh show organized by DUU Major Attractions this year, which is more than previous years, Goonewardene said.

But like the other shows, Ling said expected revenue from ticket sales is "not even close" to covering the costs of the performance. Tickets will go on sale March 3 at 10 a.m. and will be $20 for students and $25 for the general public.

Ling noted, however, that the price of an artist is a reliable indicator of its popularity and ability to boost ticket sales.

Dashboard Confessional brings on average 4,000 people per concert, Goonewardene said.

Senior Jillian Tellez said although Dashboard Confessional has not had a hit song in a few years, she is still excited to see them on campus.

"I haven't really thought about them since high school, but I really like their music so I'm looking forward to hearing them live," she said. "Hopefully they play a lot of older stuff."

This show is likely to appeal to a wide demographic, Ling said.

"We're really, really excited about the show, and we're really looking forward to it capping off the Major Attractions season," Ling said. "We've done six shows this year and each show was unique in its own way, and I'm really happy with that. Dashboard's just like the icing on the cake."

Share and discuss “Dashboard to play March 31 Page show” on social media.