RECESS  |  CULTURE

The City - "Mingling With The Commoners"

Olivia Palermo (left) views The City as an opportunity to launch her serious acting career. Courtesy MTV.com

This week on The City, the latest episode, “Mingling With The Commoners,” revolved almost completely around the uptown-downtown divide that has been alluded to in previous episodes. Whitney had the brilliant idea to invite Olivia to Jay’s upcoming concert. Why does Whitney insist on being so nice to Olivia when Olivia is such a huge bitch? And after talking to her obnoxious cousin Nevan, Olivia decides to go to the concert as Nevan claims it will be her “good deed for the day.” Right.

When Whitney and Erin arrive at Olivia’s posh apartment in Tribeca, the first thing they notice is Olivia’s huge walk-in closet and her dog, which, unsurprisingly, is named Mr. Butler. The girls were already running late for the concert, but Olivia ignores them, saying Jay wouldn’t start without them anyway. In the meantime, Olivia took her time trying on clothes and changing outfits because she obviously couldn't wear white to a rock concert. Imagine the stains! Disaster.

The girls finally arrived at the concert several minutes late, and Olivia clearly looked and felt out of place the second she got there, constantly bumping into people and apologizing. How is this place full? Good work MTV. She left immediately after Jay’s band finished and the next day, when Whitney asked if she enjoyed the concert, Olivia just replied, “Oh totally!” in a completely sarcastic yet emotionless manner. Then, in order to "make up" for running late, Olivia books Jay’s band for an uptown charity event. Of course Nevan spends the entire time at the event making fun of the band, their music and their clothes (except you know he would kill to be in a band). Despite the fact that it came from Nevan, the band really did sound like a mediocre version of The Beach Boys and they were wearing plaid to a formal charity event.

Jay left immediately with Whitney without saying bye to Olivia, completely offending her in the process. The next day Whitney explained that the whole situation “was kinda like a stab in the back” and Olivia ended the conversation by stating, “Let’s leave our work environment separate from our personal environment.” Whitney and Olivia’s first real fight! Looks like Olivia made sure to get the last word. After what happened in that episode, who wouldn't bet on Olivia?

In other news, we still don’t know what the deal is with Erin and JR, but stay tuned because I have a feeling that Erin’s long-distance relationship with Duncan won’t last long if her hot ex-boyfriend is around constantly. I smell more cheating.

Share and discuss “The City - "Mingling With The Commoners"” on social media.